Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the smart companies out there I really hope someone can make a kit to narrow the sportsman xp S . Love all the new upgrades that only came on the S model but the width!!! Can’t load two quads on my sled deck . C’mon Polaris , you guys should of put all the upgrades the S got but in a narrower platform!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lmao I have the 2020 scrambler at 55” it’s a beast love the width about time a company followed the quad racing industry with long travel and wide stance good job Polaris

·
8,934 Posts
With all the smart companies out there I really hope someone can make a kit to narrow the sportsman xp S . Love all the new upgrades that only came on the S model but the width!!! Can’t load two quads on my sled deck . C’mon Polaris , you guys should of put all the upgrades the S got but in a narrower platform!!
You don't need a "kit". You can buy Sportsman 1000 XP 48" a-arms, axles, shocks and rims and put them on your machine.
I'm having a hard time understanding why you'd buy a 55" wide machine and then want to make it into a 48" wide machine?? Why not just buy a 48" Sportsman 1000 to start with?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
According to the info I heard from the YouTube video of the introduction, the 55" is what the riders wanted! I don't want my machine any wider but someone must. Their intro was in the Nevada Desert so maybe that is the intended rider.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say just go buy the 48” wide , but your missing my point. I would take a 48” machine over 55” for my riding but I want all the upgrades only the S got. New frame , new exhaust , new sealed bushings , new power steering linkage , Ranger front diff , beefed up transmission ,bigger axles , ground clearance and suspension. All which can be achieved and still keep the stance around 50”. I haul two sportsman XP’s on a sled deck and a 35’ travel trailer and there’s no way 55” would fit on the deck. 55” isn’t for everybody but the upgrades should be

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hear you on the "S" upgraded exhaust, frame, steering linkage, axles and front diff. But your not getting that ground clearance, suspension out of a 50" wide 4x4. Of cours the factory exhaust is actually a downgrade, polaris even admitted it lost a little power. But I'm sure the aftermarket will fix that and it will look killer

Another thing I wish they would bring to the 48" machines is the dual piston brakes on the scrambler S that allow 12" rims from the factory. I had to grind my brake calipers down to get 12s to fit. Polaris NEVER should have put 14" rims on an ATV. What a dumb ass idea. It's an ATV not a sports car. 14s only make sense if your running 30s or bigger.

I don't know if the "new" bushing will actually be an improvement. But it did look like the upper rear control arm on the "S" now has 2 chassis mounting points just like the front compared with the big single mounting point on the 48" model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah that is kinda oxymoron, you would lose all the extra travel of the new suspension, not to mention the 15k price tag and the cost of all A arms and Cv axles to make it narrower. It would probably be less expensive to convert a regular Xp to the S specs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Correction: it appears the scrambler S still has single piston brake calipers.

The calipers actually appear very similar to 48" xp brakes. But they have some sort of relocating bracket. I could have sworn I saw a picture of dual piston brakes on the S but apparently I was wrong lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm screen shotting these pics from the polaris official YouTube video on scrambler S tire and brake inspection. And after looking a little more closely I notice a couple more interesting changes.

Both the front hubs and knuckles look like they are now steel or iron. As opposed to the 48" XP having aluminum (rear hubs are steel) also the hubs are a different design, the brake rotor is moved inboard of the wheel mounting surface compared to the 48" XP

A pic of the rear suspension on the scrambler S

I find it a little irritating that Polaris upgraded the upper sway bar link ends to hiems but also downgraded the lower sway bar link ends to rubber bushings again.. wft? Its the opposite on 48" XPs

The rear knuckles look like they are still aluminum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts