Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..Ive already read most of the clutch problems, but cant find a problem like mine...
okay, here is what ive got...its a 2003 sportsman 700...it was creeping really bad, and hard to shift. I pulled the primary and secondary clutches off so I could rebuild the primary and realized that there were cracks in both sides of the sheaves....So..i bought a brand new primary from Polaris....the driven clutch had 3 shims behind it when I took it off, so I installed it the exact same way, along with the new primary, and a new oem belt. IT IS STILL CREEPING!!!! it looks like the driven clutch needs to come out a little farther, but its already got 3 shims behind it....has anyone ever had to use more than 3? I have no broke or loose engine mounts. someone please chime in soon with advice...thsnks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, but trust me...ive been all over every aspect I can think of...idle, removing more shims (although it looks like It needs more), engine mounts, putting old belt back on....I just don't know !!! has anyone ever had to put more than 3 shims??? ( it had 3 when I started) Got anymore ideas? thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Although the motor mounts may not be broken, have you checked that the bottom one has not shifted a bit making the belt not ride properly. I had an older quad and had to undo the bottom mount and use a pry bar to twist it over a bit.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bottom mount didn't help.....anymore ideas??? (I put the old belt back on, and it helped a little....both were still turning at idle, although every now and then the driven would stop like its supposed to)...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree with what InRBigness said....that lower motor mount can usually be the culprit even though it looks ok. The rubber must get weak and allows the motor to twist a little , throwing your belt alignment off. Try changing the lower mount ($20) and see if aligns better, then if you have to, loosen motor mount ,twist the engine a little , then tighten down the mount again.
Three shims behind the secondary seems to be the max you want to put there. Look else where for the problem.
There is an alignment jig you can buy to align both clutches but I've tried to use one and can't seem to line it up correctly but my belt alignment is good , no more creeping after changing my lower motor mount and twisting my engine a little.

Creeping is also caused by higher than normal idle as said above and also if you have a bad one way bearing on your primary clutch. (EBS clutch) It needs to spin one way or the belt will turn ,which isn't good. Do you have an EBS clutch? If your belt doesn't run in the center of the primary clutch, it will turn and make the bike creep as you probably already know.

·
12,342 Posts
If it already has 3 shims, you may need to adjust the engine mounts a little...it don't take much. What kind of belt are you running? There IS a difference in belt tolerances.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill try moving the mount a little to see if it helps. there really is not anything you can do to align the primary is there? Yes, it is ebs, but its also brand new...from Polaris.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it had a dayco hpx which was showing signs or wear, so I got an oem Polaris one...(it does better with the dayco) ill try and tweek that mount a little to see if it helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does anyone know if the bottom engine mount should be in about the center of the slotted hole for it in the frame??? when i started, the bolt was all the way to the right end of the slot... with all the new parts installed, it seems to do a lot better if i slide that blot (and engine mount) more towards the center of the slot...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, it has ebs... brand new primary....3 shims behind secondary......The mount was all the way to the right...thats why i was asking...the belt was riding like it needed more shims behind the driven...but it already has 3, so ill move the front mount over

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay...i moved the front mount to the center of the slot...now the belt rides like it needs a shim removed fron the secondary....should i move the mount back to the right a little, or remove a shim (it has 3) or does it matter??

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes.....remove two shims if you can. Normally , you should only have one shim behind the secondary.
The belt grooves should ride in the grooves of the EBS pulley and be in the "center" of the pulley, not touching either sheave. If that's the case after you remove a few shims,you're good to go.
Start the bike , rev it up and down a few times and see where the belt sits at idle.The belt shouldn't move while idling. If it doesn't move while at idle, you will be able to shift gears easily and the bike shouldn't creep anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay...im going to pull one shim out to start with...at idle with 3 shims, and the front engine mount in the center of the slot, the belt rides just enough to the outside of the primary to make it look like it wants to turn the secondary, bet it really dont spin...just kinda jerks a little...i just wonder why that front mount was fixed all the way to the right when i started this???

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like your real close and removing one shim will do the trick.

I'm not sure why that lower mount position was like that before you started.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts