Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys my wheeler is running great if i punch it from around 15 mph and up, but if i punch it from a dead stop or a rolling start at 5 mph it will wheelie the acts like its hitting the rev limiter then it takes off again. It doesn't do this every time either. Ridinagain has sent me different springs and i thought it was figured out after that but today it came back. Is my belt slipping from the power of the clutch running to aggressive? Im running both shims and the silver/silver qsc spring. Maybe take shims out? Or get a new belt? my belt only has 200 miles and 31 hrs on it. Sorry ridinagain thought we got it figured out. It just started doing it again. Wish this dang mn winter would end so i could just try it on the trail instead of snow covered roads and fields. Im wondering if i should just leave it the way it is and see how it reacts when it warms up and is on normal riding surface

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
I some times have the same problem. I think. I will bounce the rev limiter on pavement from a dead stop in H once in a while. never thought much of it cause I just thought it maxed on RPM. its a slight blip, nothing drastic and then just climbs.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thats what i think to. I cant even punch it in low gear all i get is rev limiter lol. I can hit it fairly hard just fine though

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
now I def don't get it in L, only H. I am only running the one shim that yields 1800 rpm engagement.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its pretty annoying i know that lol. I thought it was from the payvment and tires hooking up but after it started doing it on the snow covered roads it blew my mind

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Do you have a slip-on or anything else done to it that you didn't tell me about? You may need to send me back your weights to modify them a touch to get a little more at the tips, unless you have a welder and a gram scale handy I can walk you through it. But I would wait till the snow is gone before making any changes. The lack of traction is definitely and issue here or you have an unusually well running 800.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Have you taken the clutch cover off, leave it in park, and given it gas to see what it's doing? It may be load base or it may not, that will be the first thing to help you troubleshoot. Let us know what it does in park and you rev it, then we can start down rabbit trails.

EDIT: In park and idle belt should NOT be moving. When rev'd to around 2200 (per you having both shims in still) the primary should close and belt/secondary rotate. While you have the cover off, look at the belt and see if its really shiny (shiny is BAD). If its revving all the way up then that belt has to be pulled through the secondary since the Primary is squeezing on it. So either the Primary isn't closing, or the secondary is resisting opening (probably killing the belt), or the belt is toast and letting the primary slip.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a slip-on or anything else done to it that you didn't tell me about? You may need to send me back your weights to modify them a touch to get a little more at the tips, unless you have a welder and a gram scale handy I can walk you through it. But I would wait till the snow is gone before making any changes. The lack of traction is definitely and issue here or you have an unusually well running 800.
no everything im running is in my sig. Id rather send em to you i dont trust my welding on something so small lol. Ill wait till i can ride normal stuff in spring then send it to you if it needs it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you taken the clutch cover off, leave it in park, and given it gas to see what it's doing? It may be load base or it may not, that will be the first thing to help you troubleshoot. Let us know what it does in park and you rev it, then we can start down rabbit trails.
It does everything perfectly normal in park. That was the first thing i tested when i took the cover back off to change springs

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
By "acts like its hitting the rev limiter then it takes off again", do you mean its revving the piss out of it and hitting the limiter or that its just sputtering when from a dead stop and you give it gas "acting like its hitting a limiter"?

If its shifting smoothly and fully, then that leads to load based. Ridin' does the 800 need to have the secondary helix turned that 1/3ish turn upon reinstall like the 09-10' 850s (causes secondary shifting issues when that isn't done)

How does the belt look?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Belt looks good. And I mean it will climb to 20 mph real fast then stumble for a split second then continue climbing.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
By "acts like its hitting the rev limiter then it takes off again", do you mean its revving the piss out of it and hitting the limiter or that its just sputtering when from a dead stop and you give it gas "acting like its hitting a limiter"?

If its shifting smoothly and fully, then that leads to load based. Ridin' does the 800 need to have the secondary helix turned that 1/3ish turn upon reinstall like the 09-10' 850s (causes secondary shifting issues when that isn't done)

How does the belt look?
Neither of those machines need the secondary pre tensioned. They both use compression springs. Only the non-ebs machines use the button clutch with the torsion spring. talking to him on the phone it sounds like the secondary is opening a little to far in just the right conditions and letting it over rev for a split second while the primary closes to take up the belt slack. We'll get it figured out once some of this show melts off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts