Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the add. I’ve been reading threads and educating myself on the Sportsman 700 twin. I bought a 2003 In an estate auction. As is. 🤨
The machine was in the process of being repaired. Plastics off. When picking the machine up. The neighbor said it was a “ no spark” issue. My first question is. what shop manual should I get. Anyone better than the other? Step one. Replace the weak non OEM battery. Starter spins but the Ben fix seems to be hung up. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Is this a solid machine or a problem child?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,881 Posts
Thanks for the add. I’ve been reading threads and educating myself on the Sportsman 700 twin. I bought a 2003 In an estate auction. As is. 🤨
The machine was in the process of being repaired. Plastics off. When picking the machine up. The neighbor said it was a “ no spark” issue. My first question is. what shop manual should I get. Anyone better than the other? Step one. Replace the weak non OEM battery. Starter spins but the Ben fix seems to be hung up. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Is this a solid machine or a problem child?
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

From the Official Forum Greeter, be careful of the other imposters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey folks. Sorry I haven’t touched base with a progress report. I had a blown head gasket. Actually it was the cylinder base gasket. While I had it all apart I put in new pistons and rings. The walls were perfect. Before I tackle the electrical repair sequence tomorrow. I did get a shop manual from a Polaris dealership I now realize that asking which manual to get was a stupid question. 🤨The RM Stator coil and cdi kit did not fix the no spark problem. I’ve gone over the machine and replaced : the thermostat, a broken coolant filler spout, all the coolant and fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, and a broken peacock. I also have been buying parts that were missing. Air box. Front rack support. eBay has everything! I also have ordered a voltage peak reading adapter coming tomorrow. While waiting for parts I’ve been painting metal parts that were rusted. I’m actually having fun!

·
Premium Member
2021 scrambler 1000 xp s..
691 Posts
maybe check the fly wheel key to make sure its not sheared off that would cause a no run but i think it should still backfire a little if thats off

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is the carb vent line crucial to it running? I also swapped the spark plug wires. I thought the pistons running in parallel it wouldn’t matter. Was told it may🤷🏻‍♂️When I bought the quad. It was in repair mode and had no carb vent lines

1 - 17 of 17 Posts