Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in south western Montana, we have a great bunch of forest service trails within 30 min. to an hour from home. A lot of great trails specifically for 50" machines. We've been riding for 4 years and still exploring new trails within the valley we live in. We took a spur of the moment ride after dinner the other night on one of our favorite trails to watch the sun set. Was about 35-40 min. from home to trail head. Was a great evening ride, were back ti the trick by 10pm home by 10:40. doesn't get anny prettier than this.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
colors just kept getting deeper nobody paints like God does, this is an old fire look out there now a rental cabin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
We were through the west of Montana, south to north, in our motorhome about 3 weeks ago. Definitely God's country - made especially for ORVs. would love to make another trip out there, hauling the toys and then exploring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it really is amazing, and we've only really experienced the Bozeman area. We haven't traveled more than 65 miles one way to ride. We have our favorites we continue to share with friends, but still have quite a few trails we've yet to explore. My wife and I hit a new to us trail about a month ago and have ridden it 3 times since, sharing it with friends from out of state. The latter part of the loop wounding up at the look out in the above pics. We unfortunately never seem to have enough time to get out and ride. Partly due to busyness, partly because our trails don't open till June 16th. then some close mid October, so a fairly short riding season doesn't help. But never the less we try to get out as much as time will allow and enjoy each moment, especially on new trails like this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, that hurts. Had a couple of Ranchers, great machines just not good trail machines, they beat the crap out us. Found these Can Ams last year. So far have been great machines, ride like Cadillacs in comparison. Don't really care what's on the trail with us just love to share the outing with friends and family.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You had to figure that was coming on a Polaris site. To be honest, if I could live there, I’m sure I’d be ok on a Can Am. You just might wanna try a Polaris though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was waiting for it, probably would've been disappointed if I wouldn't have gotten some grief. I've actually ridden an older 500 sportsman, actually a pretty old machine a 98, other than the steering being a bit loose it rode pretty smooth. I'm sure the new ones are pretty nice. We found both of our machines on Craigslist. Our red 2 up machine is a 2016 and only had 435 miles on it, couldn't pass it up for $5200. The green one I found in Boise Idaho, aboit 8 hrs away, it had 38 miles on it and 3 months left on the warranty plus three guy brought it all the way to Bozeman for me. Gave $6100 for it, both have Been great machines and my wife loves the IRS and power steering. I'll have to check out the new ones. you would absolutely love the trails here, there are some that are easy, and some that are very technical and slow moving. We are just extremely happy to be able to get out and enjoy our mountains Even if it is on Can Am's.😉

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hoping that our season isn't coming to an end, getting alot of rain and at this altitude could easily turn to the ugly white. This was a great Ride we took last October but with snow on the trails they get a bit dangerous with all the switch backs and steep trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not holding the Can Ams against you, but what is the weather like there year round? What are the names of the trails you are on? What kind of registration requirements? Waiting for more pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
CSW652,
Our weather is generally pretty decent. Even when we have snow we have a lot of sunshine. In the Bozeman area where I am located we average 200 days a year of sunshine. Our air is dry and humidity is very low, because of altitude, in the summer our sun is extremely HOT! July and August are our Hottest months average temps are in the low to mid 80's, last week we had two extemely hot days at 96 and 97 with lows at night of mid 50's. This week very cool and rainy, today I think the high was 61 right now it's 50. Winters get very cold, this last winter was a tough one with very frigid temps, we got down to -45 for a couple of weeks, plus we had record snow falls. I had 33" of snow on my roof and we had snow piled up near 9 feet in the front yard from shoveling. The mountains never did dry up totally in fact, the wild flowers were still blooming over Labor Day. One of the trails we ride up Past Big Sky Ski Resort Got about 6" of snow already on Monday. There was still snow on some of the North slopes above some of the trails we rode all summer long.
In general terms, we have definite seasons, Winters are long, springs wet, Summers Hot but unfortunately too short, sometimes we get an Indian summer (oops, Native American Summer) have to be careful these days. Hoping it will dry up and warm up so we can ride into mid October. Most of the National Forest Service trails are only open from June 16th to Mid October, a few, I have discovered, are open until Dec. 1st but not too many. Over all a great place to live, when we go out we hardly ever see anyone on the trails, even on the weekends, never anyone else out during the week. Even over Labor Day I think we saw 1 side by side and a motor cycle on one day out of the 3 that we rode.
As far as registration, in our area and I believe most all of Montana, our ATV's/UTV's/OHV's are street legal as long as they have headlights, tail light, and a horn. When we register them we have the option of getting a plate to ride on the streets or just getting a trail sticker, or both, both are permanent as long as you(we) own the machine, all trailers in Montana are permanent plates as well. I think that you can get an out of state visitors pass, I'm not sure what that runs but can check it out if you would like me to. I'll try to call this week and find out.
The names of the trails we rode......hmmmm..The pics of the ones with snow were Moser Creek/Lick Creek. They were up Hyalite Canyon which is south of Bozeman about 8 miles. Some of the other trails were up a drainage called Storm Castle south on Highway 191 toward West Yellowstone . The pics of the look out were up a trail called Garnet Mountain look out. We hit another one in the same drainage called Orchid Gulch onto to Pine Tree road and dropped down into the Swan Creek Drainage. From there hit another called Lake of the Pines Trail to Pioneer Lakes Trail. That hooked up to the Garnet Mountain look out Trail. From that we hit the Rat Lake Trail back down into the Storm Castle Drainage.
There are probably a dozen trail heads in the valley all are less than an hour from home. We still have some we haven't explored yet even after 4 years of riding. I am starting to get to know them well enough that I don't need a map. Love taking friends that haven't been on some of them, that helps me to get to know them better and be more familiar with the time it takes to get through them. We still have 4 or 5 local trails to explore. Great areas to ride. I'll post some more pics when I get a chance, and will find out what the procedures are for visiting ATVers. FF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts