Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I lost the key to my Polaris today, after I loaded it up I got sidetracked and forgot to pull the key.  I drove about 5miles before realizing and when I stopped it was already gone. So i back tracked and found it luckily I had a red floaty thing on it from the boat store and I saw this red thing on the side of the road in the green grass. Now I need to get a spare and can only imagine they are costly, any recommendations on where to get one made up?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
You can only get the key blank from Polaris but the dealers around here can't cut it. Just take it to a locksmith or key shop to get it cut. You just need someone who can cut double sided keys.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
2 weeks ago I took my key to local locksmith [down the street i live]. Also took some tags and left there $5 and some change if not wrong.
Ohh. It was for my 09 xp 850 , but replacement does have yamaha logo on it. LoL. Checked and it worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Got several cut at a locksmith. They had Polaris blanks.
Not sure why but around here no one has the Polaris blanks. Point for the OP is still it can be done and not very expensive. These keys are not like a car with the computer chip in them....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heck, I lost the only one I had. Literally cost me 5 bucks off eBay for a whole new switch

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
I carry my spare key on my truck key key ring. That way I will always have my spare key with me when I have my atv out, since I have to pull it with my truck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Definitely worth getting some extras made. Dealer told me if you give Polaris your VIN number they can make you a new key but they charge quite a bit, i think he said like $60-$70.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I (we) dont pull the keys while trailering. Ever.(rarely pull them at all)
.I would think the only reason it would get pulled out of the ignition is the float you have on it catching air.
Besides that,I always put the spare in the air box

·
Registered
11 Posts
.I would think the only reason it would get pulled out of the ignition is the float you have on it catching air.
Some of us pull them because of kids around or general habit. I don't leave the keys in my truck. Plus, some insurance won't cover theft if the keys were left in.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Some of us pull them because of kids around or general habit. I don't leave the keys in my truck. Plus, some insurance won't cover theft if the keys were left in.

:biggthumpup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See i usually pull my key out and put it in my door pocket but like I said I got sidetracked and then just forgot. But I do believe that it caught enough air to pull it out. I did however tie-down my seat because I read here once about someone getting to there destination and the seat had blown off. Ouch!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I had a couple spares made for our machines too... took the key to a local lock smith and he struggled to find a matching blank, but also landed on an aftermarket Yamaha replacement blank. They seem to work fine and I was only out a few dollars.

If I remember right the dealership wanted about $15 for a Polaris blank and then additional for the rubber boot cover.... get bent!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Replace lost spare key
I misplaced/lost the spare key. Called the dealer to get a replacement. If you think they are proud of there motor oil try the price of a key. They had the blank in stock and I had the original key. Most places charge about $2.50 to make a key. Price was $15.00.
Went to Ace Hardware; now they are not the cheapest on they goods but they do carry most anything you want. After some hunting, the clerk found a blank he thought would work. I got one, took it home and the key worked first and every time. New key cost me $3.28

The key blank is marked X117 and YH48

·
Registered
18 Posts
This doesn't answer the op's question but I never take the key out, when trailering I leave it in the on position so it's locked in and power off with the kill switch.

·
8,953 Posts
A piece of small chain and a lanyard clip attached to the key and clipped on one of the cables on the handlebars means the key can't possibly be separated from the machine unless physically unclipped.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts