Polaris ATV Forum banner

Spark and fuel but no boom... weird

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Outlawrider75 
#1 ·
Hello, I’m hoping someone can help me out with this. New to the Polaris world and I bought this outlaw 525 irs off a friend who goes through bikes like a rock star through groupies but he only had this one for a ride or 2 till the rear sprocket basically came off the hub shredding the hell outta stuff. So, I bought it knowing I would put a rear end assembly and chain and all that, and it would run, and it did... like a champ! New plug, new ignition and key, new battery, oil filters and oil changed, I mean this thing ran great! Till the one way clutch sprag gear started slipping and failed basically, so I replaced that and it cranks fine. Got the tank on, hook the gas up blah blah blah... fired it up. 2 minutes later it just cut out. Didn’t bog out but just cut out... this is what’s weird tho... it has spark and gas and I checked the compression but I remember reading something to the effect it’s pointless cause of the decomp lever? Anyhow I checked it and it only read about 85 and throttle stabbed when cranked was around 135. With gas and spark I would think it would at least combust and do something. I read the pulser coil can be working but bad at the same time? Anyone have anything like this happen to them? I need some help I’m jonsin to ride!!!

#3 ·
So here’s what I did... checked the VAC on the pulse coil plug when cranking and it would hit .14 but then drop off to .09 then surge back up to .14 is this normal? Also I pulled the blue/white wire off the ignition coil and held the positive to that and grounded the negative then hit the start button and the spec VDC says 200 but I was only putting out 160. When I first put the red lead to the wire it’s over 220 but just drops off to 160 whether it’s cranking or not... did I test these 2 parts correctly as I’m am not astute in these matters much.

#6 ·
Hey man, I just got out of bed.

You can't check VAC on the pulse coil - you need to check peak volts on the DC scale with a peak voltage meter or PV adapter for a std multimeter - typical voltage is 3 to 5 volts

Same procedure for the coil - output from the CDI to coil is 100 to 200 peak volts typical.

I suggest you check the spark timing.

#8 ·
I agree though... I was thinking just now that when I did the sprag gear I had to tap it on some at the end. On the other side of that rod is the timing stuff... I may have knocked something askew and it didn’t present itself till it fired and started running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.