Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was shocked. I've been seeing a lot of guys on FB talking about there spark arrestor and how plugged they have found them. So tonight had some free time so I pulled the 2019 850SP out from its parking spot in the garage and pulled mine and found it 1/2 plugged! I'm just short of 1K miles, 55 hrs and couldn't believe it.

If you have never pulled the one lock screw and pulled the spark arrestor out for inspection, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING IT.

I will make it part of my normal oil change service from now on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did the same thing at the beginning of this season. Was also surprised to see how plugged up it was. Gonna make it part of my regular maintenance as well.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just looked at Manual and it says @3000k. I’ll take your advice and check this weekend though. Thanks

·
10,365 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. About 2600 miles and mine was almost completely plugged. Never seen anything like it. Machine sounds a lot better and I'm sure it HAS to run better. I'll be checking again after a couple hundred miles to see if its collecting up again.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. About 2600 miles and mine was almost completely plugged. Never seen anything like it. Machine sounds a lot better and I'm sure it HAS to run better. I'll be checking again after a couple hundred miles to see if its collecting up again.
Is that tan crap the build up?

·
10,365 Posts
Its fiberglass muffler packing on the screen. The exhaust was almost completely plugged. Like I said... never seen anything like this before. No way could the engine breath. It would be like shoving a banana up the tail pipe.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Its fiberglass muffler packing on the screen. The exhaust was almost completely plugged. Like I said... never seen anything like this before. No way could the engine breath. It would be like shoving a banana up the tail pipe.
Something I really don’t want to think about 🤮. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Polman500, mine was not that bad but it needed to be cleaned. Got to be better for the engine to breath!! Can you imagine how much exhaust heat its retaining?? Can you imagine how hard this is on the exhaust valves?? How hot the header pipe was getting??
Thanks for taking my advise!!!

·
10,365 Posts
Thank you FPD for bringing it to my attention. The machine now sounds totally different. I haven't rode it yet but I'm sure it will run much better now and I expect fuel mileage will improve. It had to be smothered down with that plug in the exhaust. I'd never really given much consideration to cleaning out exhaust before but I certainly will from now on!

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Polman500, do you think you can get this post made as a sticky in the Around the Garage section? I'm sure many others have plugged spark arestors also.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Last march one of the 1000's was actinging up in WV. Loss of power and stuttering.He pulled the packing out and left it out ,never had another hicup

·
10,365 Posts
I've been thinking about this today... I'd bet that just like emission standards brought on by those dipsticks out west, I'm sure there are probably sound level standards that are near impossible to meet with a big bore twin. The fiberglass packing around my arrestor screen really didn't look like it got there by accident. I think it was put there as it rolled off the assembly line to muffle the machine down so it would pass scrutiny... sorta like a silencer/suppressor for you shooting buffs. That crap needs to be removed as soon as you get the machine home!
Sprotsman, what i did was take pics first to show you guys what I found and then I peeled it off the screen, threw it in the trash, blew out the screen with compressed air and reinstalled it. I also made a mental note to ALWAYS check the spark arrestor screen first thing on any machine I encounter in the future that has a serviceable one.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've been thinking about this today... I'd bet that just like emission standards brought on by those dipsticks out west, I'm sure there are probably sound level standards that are near impossible to meet with a big bore twin. The fiberglass packing around my arrestor screen really didn't look like it got there by accident. I think it was put there as it rolled off the assembly line to muffle the machine down so it would pass scrutiny... sorta like a silencer/suppressor for you shooting buffs. That crap needs to be removed as soon as you get the machine home!
Sprotsman, what i did was take pics first to show you guys what I found and then I peeled it off the screen, threw it in the trash, blew out the screen with compressed air and reinstalled it. I also made a mental note to ALWAYS check the spark arrestor screen first thing on any machine I encounter in the future that has a serviceable one.
Good move. Wish the 570 had that option. Bet it sounds great.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
10,365 Posts
Sounds much deeper/throatier than before especially when you get on it. Still not really loud though. I don't like loud at all out in the woods.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts