Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 99 sportsman I have ben having problems starting it due to no spark I do get good spark when I let of the starter button I replaced the stator and pick up coil which came all in one also replaced the coil a while back if I pulled the plug and and grounded the spark plug to the cylinder it would have great spark tried a new spark plug not no diff now it only sparks only when you let of the starter button i was wondering if it could be the cdi box if so anyway to test them any help would be great thanks
Roger

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
850 Posts
How much voltage to the ign coil while cranking and also check your voltage to the cdi box ...I've had that same thing happen to me on a old honda I had had a bad wire to the cdi wasn't quite getting enough voltage should be basically batt voltage at both maybe .2 or so less

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok on the cdi box that I am guessing is the red wire which is pluged into the stator harnes the one goes to the coil is a white with a blue tracer just wondering as far as testing volts to the cdi box

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the wire the white with blue tracer had 11.5 volts plugged it back into the coil key on said 0 volts tried cranking still nothin????

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Check the starter, if the starter is worn or dragging it can draw a lot of current which can rob the ignition system of needed voltage. You can take the starter to most of the auto parts stores and they will test it for you. A bad starter can suck a battery down real quick.

·
11,153 Posts
Disconnect the black wire from the rev limiter #36 to disable it and see if it has spark or will run. If that don't do it, check everything other than the CDI with an ohm meter to see if the rest of the system is in spec. If everything ohms to spec or close, you likely need a CDI. Post back what you find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts