Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I use NGK's. Cheaper and last a long time. Gimmic spark plugs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will stay with ngk for sure thanks everybody :fest06: was also wondering how often i should change them

·
Registered
32 Posts
Per NGK...

"Unfortunately,there is no single answer to this question. As spark plugs grow older, they lose their sharp edges as material from the center and ground electrodes is slowly eroded away. As the gap between these two points grows, the voltage required to bridge the gap increases proportionately. Even the best ignition systems will be strained to supply enough voltage to completely burn the fuel. It is at this point, when fuel is being left unburned, that the time has come to change spark plugs.

Replacing worn out spark plugs with new ones (with sharp new edges) effectively restores the ignition system's efficiency. Misfires are reduced, power is restored, economy of operation is enhanced and emissions are reduced.

The best guide is the manufacturer's recommendation for your vehicle, as this particular service varies from brand to brand and model to model. In the absence of this information or in conjunction with it, you can rely on the advice of a mechanic who is familiar with your type of vehicle. In the best of all worlds, this would be a mechanic who is also familiar with the vehicle you own. If you find a good mechanic, whether dealer or independent, stick with him. The better he knows your personal vehicle, the better he will be able to diagnose and service it. The end result is very much like a doctor-patient relationship and, in the long run, you will have a healthier vehicle
."

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ran E3's in my truck... Terrible gas mileage and it ran terrible. Took them out, returned them saying they are pieces of &%$#! Bought cheap spark plugs and she ran like a dream. That is my experience with E3s and I will never go back to them. I will stick with simple that is proven to work.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
593 Posts
Per NGK...

"Unfortunately,there is no single answer to this question. As spark plugs grow older, they lose their sharp edges as material from the center and ground electrodes is slowly eroded away. As the gap between these two points grows, the voltage required to bridge the gap increases proportionately. Even the best ignition systems will be strained to supply enough voltage to completely burn the fuel. It is at this point, when fuel is being left unburned, that the time has come to change spark plugs.

Replacing worn out spark plugs with new ones (with sharp new edges) effectively restores the ignition system's efficiency. Misfires are reduced, power is restored, economy of operation is enhanced and emissions are reduced.

The best guide is the manufacturer's recommendation for your vehicle, as this particular service varies from brand to brand and model to model. In the absence of this information or in conjunction with it, you can rely on the advice of a mechanic who is familiar with your type of vehicle. In the best of all worlds, this would be a mechanic who is also familiar with the vehicle you own. If you find a good mechanic, whether dealer or independent, stick with him. The better he knows your personal vehicle, the better he will be able to diagnose and service it. The end result is very much like a doctor-patient relationship and, in the long run, you will have a healthier vehicle
."
Also a sharp edge on the electrode creates the best spark, as they erode, round off this causes a smaller spark. That's what iridium does, it coats the electrode and slows down this wear so the plugt retains a better spark longer.

·
Registered
593 Posts
does ngk make a iridium plug for a sportsman 500?:gruebel:
I think so, but IMO iridium is only really a benefit on older plugs. If you change you plugs often, than it's not really needed. I had a Lincoln LS and you had to take the intake manifold off to change the passenger side plugs, I used iridium's in that thing!! But in my other vehicles I change the plugs pretty often so I just buy good quality plugs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The stock plug for the 2011 (as per manual) is BKR6ES. I ran the BKR6EIS, and it actually seemed to run hotter! (the tip was whiter than the stocker). I do lots of mileage on the gravel roads to a nearby lake, about 28 miles straight. Usually done at 35 mph. so the high revs tend to keep 'er clean. So I switched to BKR7EIS plugs, and it reads like the stock plug did at first. Did about 460 miles on it so far this summer with no problems. I re-checked it after a weekend of slow, low range 4x4 driving, and it didnt seem to affect it much at all, with little carbon on it, and no black tip. So i'll stick to it. I'll keep the E3 plugs for my old lawnmower...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the manual for the 2012 says bkr6e i wonder why they changed it
i am also haveing some problems with backfireing when i take my thumb off of the throttle it backfires and i have changed the plug twice and it still backfires
is this normal?

·
Registered
163 Posts
i had that happen to me on an older machine when using regular gas with 10% ethanol in it,while having too small a gap on the plug. i had to increase the plug gap by 10 thousanths over the stock recommendation.. helped a bit, but still did it once and a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plugs are plugs.No spark plug is going to give you any noticeable better mileage over the other if firing properly.Some of the iridiums may last longer but mileage will be the same.I also prefer the non resistor plugs myself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
funny thing though... i know plugs are plugs, but why do autolite plugs give a 3 hp advantage over stock champion plugs in a dodge with a 318? Did anyone here ever run autolites in a polaris? I'm going to try 'em out!
(not that a 3 hp gain in a 318 cubic inch motor would be noticeable in a 500 cc polaris, but just considering it to see). if anyone did try it, i'd like to know, and also like to know what the plug number is?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts