Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im working on a 99 sportsman 500. i just got the starter working, i had the quad running fine by pull starting it but the owner wants the starter to work. it needed a new bendix, i replaced it and the quad turns over fine but when i try to start it with the starter it doesnt get any spark. but if i pull start it it gets spark fine.i thought it was a problem in the kill switch on the bars because you have to push thekill switch up to engage the starter (a really terrible design imo). so i set the kill to run and pulled it and it sparked, so i jumped the solenoid with a screw driver without touching the kill or the key and still no spark with the starter. ive never owned a polaris but ive worked on a few and this has me stumped. ive been building and rebuilding atvs for years and never had a problem like this

·
Registered
12 Posts
sounds like your pulse coil [trigger] is sitting to far from the magnet on the flywheel . if you take off your pull start housing and look at the flywheel at about the 10 o'clock position you will see a small square thing that is held on by a metal strap and 2 screws [this is the trigger] . if you rotate the flywheel you will notice a bump on the side that you need to line up with the trigger and measure the distance between the two . polaris recomends that this gap measures between .016 and .030 . anything more than .030 and the trigger has a hard time seeing the signal to fire the spark and anything less than .016 and you run the risk of the flywheel contacting the trigger . adjustment can be a little tricky but it's far from rocket science and usually fixes the problem . hopefully this will fix your problem and make your customer happy again . br549

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Ditto on the pulse coil, get some emery paper and clean up the magnet on the fly wheel and pulse coil, set gap and see if it starts, uif you don't have a feeler gauge , a match book cove is close enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent gotten around to working on it. i cleaned that magnet up on the flywheel before i posted this. would the gap really make it spark with the pull start but not the electric start? thatseems fishy to me but i dont know i dont mess with polaris' all that much. i'll probably check that out tomorrow or this weekend thanks guys i'll post back if that fixes it or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts