Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new lead/ acid battery a year and a half ago. It worked fine until early last winter. All of a sudden it was dead as a door nail, 0 volts. No problem, the pull start works well, but a bit of a challenge for the misses. And we use the machine for plowing.

The machine can be started and ran at high rpm’s for 15 minutes, shut the machine off and battery still is taking no charge. So, obviously junk. A few years back I had a motorcycle battery from NAPA that was junk straight out of the box. When and why are batteries now so expensive but their capabilities are so severely lacking? :|

A guy at work recommends getting a new battery and always keeping a trickle charger on it when the vehicle is stored.
Was thinking about getting an AGM battery ($$$).

Curious of thoughts on this and if an AGM would also need / should be tended with a trickle charger.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I keep a battery tender on all mine when they sit for more than a week or so. I do think it helps them last longer. AGM is supposed to be the Cadillac of batteries but they are expensive. And can you get one in the right physical size to fit your machine. I do not have experience with them as yet since all my lead acid ones seem to be lasting well.

Reactions: stumplifter

·
Super Moderator
7,036 Posts
If you are going to store it for months at a time put a trickle charger on it a couple of days before you need it. Otherwise, no need. They will do more damage to these small batteries than good.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are going to store it for months at a time put a trickle charger on it a couple of days before you need it. Otherwise, no need. They will do more damage to these small batteries than good.

If you are not going to use the bike for several months you need to put a charger on the battery once a month. Never charge it at more than 2 amps Best to get a trickle charger and charge for 24 to 48 hours. This will keep the battery charged and not overcharged if the charger should malfunction. Charging the battery just before you need to use it is fine but the battery may be discharged and gone South by then. The AGM battery is far better than older lead-acid. Never buy an Odessy battery:

Never go with an Odyssey battery. Their only advantage was they could be placed in any position; even upside down. The AGM battery can also be placed on its side.

The Odyssey battery that replaces our YTX20HL battery is the PC545.

Odyssey is 13 AH, 150 CCA cost $113. YTX20HL ( AGM ) is 20AH, 310 CCA cost $85

This should be a no brainer choice. Not only 75% cheaper put more than twice the power

https://industrialbatterypros.com/pc...yssey-battery/

https://www.batterymart.com/p-ytx20h...e-battery.html

Harbor Freight has a good charger (62813) for less than $22 and last month they had it reduced to $5 with coupon. For the little, you will use one this unit will more than meet your needs.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
I keep a battery tender on mine all the time..... I have it hooked to a timer and it's set to come on only 1 hour a day and then shut off.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
The outlet timer and a 'BATTERY TENDER' (registered trademark) is how I keep the battery in my CRF250X and TRX400EX ready for use. I also have a 99 Dodge Dakota RT that I keep a BATTERY TENDER on as it is only driven once every few months. I don't use an outlet timer on the Dodge as the battery is large and the truck has an alarm system that provides a continuous draw on the battery so a .1 amp continuous charge will not overcharge it. I use a BATTERY TENDER to activate new batteries prior to installation. I always get 3 to 5 years from my small batteries and the battery in the Dakota is over 10 years old.

Keeping the battery charged is the key to a long battery life. A discharged battery will sulfate (grow crystals on the plates) and the plates will short out.

AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries have greater vibration and shock resistance than a vented flooded lead acid battery and are maintenance free - the gas generated during the charge and discharge cycle is not vented to the atmosphere and therefore the liquid level does not need to be maintained.

For the ultimate in maintenance free batteries, use a lithium battery - I have lithium batteries in my CRF and TRX - they are smaller, lighter and have higher outputs than their lead acid brothers - they only require recharging every 90 days and they are not as affected by changes in temperature. They have nearly the same output at 0 degrees as they do at 80 degrees - they won't freeze and they won't leak. The only downside (other than cost) is they require a special charger and they charge at a maximum of 750 milliamps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since I saw no mention of it, did you check your battery’s electrolyte level? Before I finally switched to AGM, I needed to service my conventional lead acid batteries twice a year by adding distilled water to each of the six cells. In fact, I recently did the same for a friend whose machine was dying on him at night with the lights on. Battery was fine after topping off with distilled water and a fresh charge. If you want to make the switch, my personal preference is a Yuasa AGM battery and a NOCO G7200 charger.

Reactions: stumplifter
1 - 10 of 10 Posts