Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the utility world. Have a 19' sportsman 450. I had dirt bikes and sport quads for all my teenage years and its simple to know what gear is best

I want to take care of my Sportsman and want to know what H/L is best for and for 4x4. It seems like L is almost too low for even 10mph.

Should I really consider the High as regular and Low as Low?

I know it might sound stupid but just want to treat her right! Any advice here?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Run in low for best belt & clutch life - use high when higher speeds are needed - always shift when at a stand still - never shift if the wheels are moving more than 1/16 MPH (5.5 feet per minute)

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
anything over 10mph is High.

Low when towing/hauling or low speeds/technical riding.

It won't hurt to ride short distances in high at low speeds.

AWD - I was always taught to leave it off until you need it. but with the Polaris Electronic AWD it won't hurt to leave it on at all times, because it's only active when the rear wheels are moving 20% faster than the fronts.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
I run H almost all the time. I run 2wd almost as much. Heavy mud, slow technical crawls, and I have I motto "when you don't know go it in 4 Lo"!!

·
8,724 Posts
Low for long slow crawls, climbing over a big rock or log or a potentially deep hole... High for everything else.
I usually just flip AWD on and forget it when I hit the actual trail. That way you never happen upon an obstacle or something and forget to turn it back on. My crew does a lot of trail maintenance work too and the less you tear up the trails you ride the better shape they stay in and the less maintenance is required. I will turn it off occasionally when on a really tame or flat section just to let it "rest" though.
With AWD turned on you're still running in 2wd anyway. The only difference is that the AWD is energized and ready to go instantly with only a small slip of the rears... You don't have to think about it!
The actual "trails" I ride are pretty rugged and unpredictable but we also run some gravel and backroads between trail sections and I usually always turn it off while running those... If I think about it. If I don't it don't matter. You never know what's around that next turn or at the bottom of that blind downhill when on a real trail in the middle of nowhere.
My practice may not apply to some depending on where and how you ride, but that's how I roll lol. :grin

·
Registered
243 Posts
One of the places that I overlooked the usefulness of Low gear at first is when going downhill. Now I make sure to use it on steep descents.

I also use it and 4wd when we ride through the creeks.

One thing I read about using AWD all the time, and I've experienced this myself, is it can kick in unpredictably at times in certain conditions. I was riding my tight trail with snow on the ground and it kicked in and I almost went into a tree.
I was riding with my wife's brother-in-law once and he somehow ran up on a small tree and it caused him to tilt on his side. Luckily he was able to keep it from tilting over completely. He was in AWD, and I believe when his right front hit the tree, the AWD kicked in and caused him to "climb the tree". Had he been in 2wd when the tire hit the tree I think it would have just stopped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts