Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm Patrick from airdrie Alberta. Some troubleshooting help needed.
Only add on at time of these issues is Polaris winch.

When riding my 2013 sportsman 500 ho in summer after running through small amounts of water or it rains power to speedo cuts in out and quad shuts down. Does not do this when running on frozen lake or plowing. Always seem to happen half way through a 3 or 4 hour run, after been through some mud or water. Always checked for water in air box and do not have key chain on keys. Unable to troubleshoot really because never happens when running at home. Thinkin about tracing out all wiring but need wiring diagram. I am a hvac mechanic and can fix things well. Just need a good starting point or if someone else has had this problem.

Thanks

Any help is good

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would start by pulling all the connectors apart and putting in some dielectric grease. Don't forget the PCM connector as well as the sparkplugs and the connector inside the headlight pod. I would also double check all your grounds. It sounds like you have some water getting into something.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Dielectric grease all the wire connectors, to help seal out water. Don't forget the spark plug and boot.

EDIT: You just beat me, great minds think alike too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done the dielectric grease but need to do it on spark plug to. Did all the connectors in front end and light pod. Also put dielectric grease on battery terminals. When it happens speedo cuts in/out like you say with water problem. Have always thought it was water but have made no progress. Am working on taking off plastics to trace out all wires and connections. Anyone have wiring diagram for 2013 sportsman 500 ho.

Thanks for help

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Do your lights go out when this happens? If everything goes dead then I would also check the on off switch as well as the key switch. Something is cutting power to everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Entire quad loses power. Dead in the water. Only thing that saves me is being pulled back by wife's 400. Embarrassing....lol

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Take battery wires off of solenoid, check nuts under them for tightness and clean and grease them while your there, have seen these come loose and cause problems like yours

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found problem

Hey guys, just posting update on what I found

Took all the plastics off tonight and began checking electrical connections. Found positive on outlet of solenoid was very close to ground wire and did not have boot on it. It was very close but not touching but I think water made the circuit causing me to lose all power to quad. Going to go through entire quad while I got it apart. Any other maint. Suggestions are welcome. Won't know for some time whether this is a fix due to it being winter still, first spring run will tell.

Thanks guys.

Later

1 - 8 of 8 Posts