Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

On my Sportsman 500 1998, my speedometer does not indicate the speed at all. So last night, I completely disconnected it and using pliers, I was able to turn the cable at one end and saw the cable turn accordingly at the other end. Just for clarity, on my ATV, this is not an electric cable connected to a hall effect sensor. Instead, it's "mechanical" (long square cable turning inside a rubber tube).

So I re-attached one end to the transmission case cover, lift the ATV completely in the air and made the rear wheels turn. The cable wasn't turning at all...

So at this point, it seems that my problem is somewhere in the transmission case near where the speedometer cable attaches.

As anyone ever fixed this? Or should I leave this alone?

Thanks

·
12,638 Posts
Put a drill on the tranny end and spin it to if the speedo works. If all is good then you can check/fix/replace the drive mechanism. There's a key (#44) that may be broken or some of the other parts worn. #'s 40 - 47 is the cable and drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks.

I will try testing the speedometer tonight with my drill to confirm it works.
Replacing parts #44 to #46 doesn't seem to big of a deal, isn't (if they are part of the problem)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I just tried it with my drill and the speedometer works.

So the issue was in the transmission case. There was a little pin broken there (about one inch long and 1/8" square). I filed the handle of a chainsaw file, cut it and it works!

I was an easy fix after all. And if it doesn't hold up, than I know what part to order...

Thanks polman500 for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts