Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my 2005 500 sportsman back from the local dealership. They replaced my ecm and wiring harness. The ecm was under recall from polaris, since there may have been damage to the wiring harness the dealership wanted to replace that too. After I returned home and tested the bike I noticed that the analog speedometer was not working. I called my local dealership and they said that the work they did had nothing to do with the speedometer. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I did not argue. However after doing some research I see that the speedometer is not driven by a cable. It has a magnetic relay on the caliper of the front right disc. Does the speedometer indeed have anything to do with the work my local dealership did on the wiring harness are is it indeed a different entity from the electrical system?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
the big question is ......was it working before you took it to the dealer? there are tests to see if the magnetic pick-up is bad or the speedo. is bad but the easiest one that i know of is to take it for a ride or jack the back wheels off the ground and see if the trip meter is working. it takes a lil while for the tenth's to change. they did have problems with that year,something about the ecm's ground circuit. one of my friend's had one and it burnt up the ecm , battery and speedo. let us know and check your connections ,just in case

1 - 3 of 3 Posts