Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speed thermometer stopped working but every thing else seems to work fine
Is there a sensor some where that goes bad ??

2004 sportsman 500

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Your speed thermometer?

Do you mean the speedometer needle isn't moving? Or that the the whole gauge (needle and odometer/lcd screen) isn't working?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
then its the hall effect sensor...its the smaller plug on the speedo...its goes down to the right wheel where the sensor is mounted....some times it just need to be cleaned..or its bad...its about 69.00 to replace....try cleaning plug and sensor first....if no go....then if you want the speedo to work..replace sensor

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Every thing but the needle and the odometer works ?
Go to this site:
Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris

Under Sportsmans look up the Service manual for 2004 Sportsman 6x6. I know your's is a 500 but the 6x6 is a 500 sportsman with an extended chassis. I even already crossed the data in that one to the 2003 model and 2005 models since they are the same gens and all 3 years have the same logic trees and tests for your issue :D

Now once you've downloaded/opened that PDF go to page 237 of the document or 10.9 of the SM. There should be "Test 2" on that page and it will walk you through the logic tree. Like AL53 has said already, is a Hall effect issue, now you just need to narrow down where. So give the sensor a clean, clean the connector, put some dielectric grease in the connector and close it good and see if the problem is fixed. If not, then use that logic tree to find out if the speedo pod is at fault. Could be bad wiring the broke/undone somewhere!

Best of luck! ...electrical gremlins are fun!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts