Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone come up with a splash guard system to stop water from splashing the sides of your legs when going through mud puddles? looking for ideas

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Would help to know what model are we working on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry forgot to mention its a 2009 sportsman 550 XP when i hit a puddle going say 20 mph with my left tire it splashes my right leg and likewise if hit it with my right tire splashes my left leg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i agree but it is throwing it across infront of the engine and coming out through the place where the dipstick is on the left side and the same area on the right side

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue with both my wife's XP850 and my 1000 scrambler... First, I took and old CV boot and put it over the foot brake and fed the large end under the floorboard. Secondly, I took a piece of aluminum sheet metal 8" long and 6" tall and put a 2" 90 degree bend in the 6" height. 2 stainless hose clamps hold it to the frame on the left side. NO MORE WET FEET, REGARDLESS OF SPEED!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info i get the boot part but can't quite figure out where you put the aluminum sheet metal could you take a picture and either email it or text it to me 5062730631 is my cell or [email protected] is my email thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just reposition yourself on your machine. Works every time.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rick,
Sorry for the delay... the first pic below shows the old CV boot stretched over the brake pedal and tucked inside the footwell. The second pic shows the 'splash shield' on my scrambler, I only used one hose clamp around the frame (2 on my wife' 850) and 2 zip ties that I poked thru the plastic engine cover. I have had this on for about 1.5 years.

I normally wear motocross boots, so splashing water is not an issue. But if I am just joy riding in sneakers or hiking boots, I was getting pissed the water would splash up thru the brake pedal hole and the area above the brake where you can see the side of the engine.

These two items WILL fix the wet feet issue at ANY speed! FACE WIPERS will still be needed for high speed water coming over the front end... LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I made many, many trips thru water holes on my wife's 850 to fix the issue for her; then I made the same changes to my scrammy.
I am on the southern tip of Moosehead Lake... absolute paradise for ATVs and snowmobiles! I have been to the county on snowmobiles, but never on ATVs, hopefully soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right on i have friends that live in Garland been there sledding with them. did the metal trick yesterday and hope to do the boot job on the brake lever as soon as i find one thanks for the info

1 - 18 of 18 Posts