Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just signed up to see if i could get some help with a problem i'm having with my 1996 sport 400. i've had it for about 2 years now and it's always started fine and ran well. the other day my son was riding it and it stopped running like he just turned off the key. now it'll crank away but there's no spark. i've had this happen to vehicles i've owned and it's always the electronic ignition module that's bad. Is there such a thing on the 400? Could the CDI box be causing this? i've been reading around and i'm not sure if i should change that out or not, i'm not sure where to start looking, any ideas? (it's very clean, not abused and hasn't ever been stored outside)

·
Registered
9 Posts
It could be just a bad coil or a bad plug? Have to checked them to see if you have ohm's across them? The only other things it could be is the PCM or the Stator. Unless you broke the timing chain?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i was going to start with that and with all the electrical connections in general. i'm going to start tearing into it tonight. i've had other engines foul plugs and had other motors with faulty wiring problems. usually they give you some indication that something is wrong like sputtering or missing or being hard to start. it's always started very easy and ran shockingly well for it's age. the way it just stopped running like someone hit the kill switch is leading me to believe that some component failed more than some component got wet, dirty, rusty, etc. i hope it is a dirty connection as they're cheaper to fix but with my luck it won't be. it's my first atv so i thought i'd come here and ask around before i spread parts all over the garage floor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
broken timing chain? gaah, don't even say that. i have a manual for polaris atv's 1996-1998 now that looks like it'll help. i'm not sure what a PCM is, will it be called out as a PCM in the manual? (i haven't had a chance to read it yet)

·
Registered
9 Posts
PCM is short for power controll modgual. Your bike should have one. It controlls the speedomature and milage as well as everything else. You also have a ignition modgual which is normaly mounted above your PCM on the from of your bike under the headlight on your handelbars.
Your manual might refer to it as a ECM or PCM.
hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got into it last night. found that the black wire from the speed limiter fell off. don't know as that was the problem but since i had it that far apart it was easier to get at the spark plug so i cleaned it. it didn't look very dirty at all but i scrubbed it anyway. turns out that was the problem, it fired right up after that. are these things normally that touchy about the spark plug having a bit of powdery black soot on them? thanks to the guys who suggested cleaning the spark plug otherwise if i wouldn't have had the idea from them about cleaning the spark plug i probably would have skipped it, it didn't look that dirty. (i've seen worse that were still working)

·
Registered
1 Posts
got into it last night. found that the black wire from the speed limiter fell off. don't know as that was the problem but since i had it that far apart it was easier to get at the spark plug so i cleaned it. it didn't look very dirty at all but i scrubbed it anyway. turns out that was the problem, it fired right up after that. are these things normally that touchy about the spark plug having a bit of powdery black soot on them? thanks to the guys who suggested cleaning the spark plug otherwise if i wouldn't have had the idea from them about cleaning the spark plug i probably would have skipped it, it didn't look that dirty. (i've seen worse that were still working)
Wanted to say thank you, I’ve been tearing down and rebuilding my sportsman for about 5 days trying new things, researching, calling around for parts, I could not think of anything wrong. Then I found your post on this forum, read through it tore it apart one more time, cleaned the spark plug and it fired up. THANK YOU!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts