Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is double posted. I thought I posted it already but can’t find it?
I have an 18 Sportsman 1000. I have owned it since new, just over 2 years now. When it was about 2-3 months old I noticed a rear inner boot came off. It was not ripped and the clamp was still in place. The boot just somehow came loose from the clamp. I got a new clamp and the proper tool to tighten them on and just fixed it myself. A few rides later it came off again. This time I took it back to the dealer I bought it at. They looked at it and said the clamp on the other side of the boot got put on to far down the axle so it was causing the boot to over stretch. So I felt confident it was good to go. I then added my Elka stage 3 shocks. Over the next year I had to reclamp both inner rear boots a couple times. I then took it to my local dealer(not where I bought it) and they said the same thing that the smaller end of boots were clamped in the wrong spot causing them to stretch and come out from the clamp. I went on 2 rides after that once again the boots slipped off. I dropped it off at my original dealer today and they said they are going to contact Polaris and said they will figure it out for me. My only thought is somehow the shocks are letting the axles droop more then stock shocks causing this issue. But I have the exact same shocks on my wife’s 17 850 and have now put them on her new 19 1000 and no issue with either of those. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Yep - double posted - I just answered the other post, but here is is again in case you don't see it:

Sometimes lift kits cause this to happen, sometimes clamping too tight is the cause, other times not being clamped tight enough is the cause and lastly, if the axle or the boot is greasy at the point of anchor, it will simply be too slick to stay put. The boot and the axle needs to be clean and dry when assembled.

·
Premium Member
9,912 Posts
I'm willing to bet the axles were a bad batch and the joints are heating and expanding the air trapped in the boot and popping them off. Tell the dealer to tell Polaris to warranty new axles because they're damaged from contamination from all the times the boots popped off.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I agree with bp405. Went through this with my 2018 1000. Was just the left rear popping the boot. I ended up replacing both axles. Haven't happened again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I heard back from dealer. The rear axles where they go into the diff, they said there is a clip of some sort?, and mine either broke, fell out or just missing for some reason. I figure it must of came from the factory that way. They said it was causing the axle to move around more then it should and was causing the boot to slip off. They said they never saw this happen before. It did need new bearings, apparently they were taking the brunt of abuse. They asked Polaris for a goodwill warranty seeing I have had it at the dealer for this issue while under warranty but they didn’t figure out the problem then. Polaris denied it. I read what they wrote to Polaris and they stated the whole story but it was still denied. Dealer told me to call Polaris myself and ask for it to be covered. Polaris was great to deal with and didn’t hesitate to cover it. I told them my story that I had it at 2 different dealers while under warranty for this issue. They said the reason it was denied the 1st time was they had no record I had it at the dealers twice before for the issue-even though the dealer stated that I did have it at their dealership when it was 3 months old with 22 hours and 310 miles on it. They said at the time they just put a new boot on and ate the cost as it was new and I had bought it from them. The lesson is I guess I’ll make sure that any machine I take in for any work I’ll make sure they try to warranty it, even if they don’t think it’ll be covered, just so it’s on record with Polaris that I had it at the dealer. The whole repair was a bit over $400. Polaris also told me I was a good customer-I have bought 9 new vehicles from them since 2002.
my dealer said this happens quit a bit. Warranty is denied but when customer calls they change their mind and cover it. They said it makes them look bad, almost like Polaris trusts the customer more then the dealer. They were very happy Polaris is covering it but wish it would of gotten Ok’d when they asked them to. They are going to be talking to the area Polaris rep about it.

Reactions: sportsmandan

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well maybe not fixed after all. I only took it on 2 short rides after it got “fixed” before winter hit. Now I have been out on 3 rides in the last couple weeks and each boot has fallen off again. I’m over this issue. I think I’m just gonna our new rear axles in and be done with it. But I see OEM are $250/each! Ouch. What is a good aftermarket brand that’ll be good as OEM? No lift, no big tires, so I don’t need rhino axles or anything.

·
Premium Member
9,912 Posts
SuperATV Rhino's 100%!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts