Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else been having issues with the front axles on the sportsman 1000xp? I somehow broke the left front doing casual woods riding, took it back to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. Went on a riding trip this past weekend with normal riding, nothing extreme. Got it back home and noticed that the front right axle had completely broke out of the wheel and the left front had broke also. I have 26 inch big horn 2.0s. Just curious if anyone else is having the same issues?

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
I he 800 trouble free miles on mine

·
Registered
110 Posts
No troubles with mine yet, and I've got about 3500 Miles on it at the moment. Not too much for mud riding on this unit though - are yours breaking in the mud?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No troubles with mine yet, and I've got about 3500 Miles on it at the moment. Not too much for mud riding on this unit though - are yours breaking in the mud?
I don't do much mud riding at all, especially deep enough mud to get stuck. The weird thing is, each time they've broke it hasn't been stuck or jarred really hard and i've never heard a snap or had it pull one way or the other. I always notice it the next day...

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
850 Posts
900 miles no issues with mine. Are they warrenty?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first time it happened they replaced it under warranty, so i would assume it will be another warranty fix. i just don't want to put more money into it with aftermarket axles just to trade it off in the spring on a rzr.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
it sounds like something isn't right with yours. is it possible that something is bent or not lined up properly? this is the first i've seen where someone has had axle issues from normal trail riding. if it happened once, i'd say that it was fluke and just a bad axle from the factory but having it happen twice tells me something else is off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it sounds like something isn't right with yours. is it possible that something is bent or not lined up properly? this is the first i've seen where someone has had axle issues from normal trail riding. if it happened once, i'd say that it was fluke and just a bad axle from the factory but having it happen twice tells me something else is off.
Yes i agree. both times its happened i haven't done anything nearly close enough to snap an axle, let alone BOTH fronts. I guess i'll just see what they have to say about it. maybe they'll replace is with a RZR :) lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Polaris decided they were only going to warranty one... yet another reason to not buy extended warranties. what a joke. whats even worse is OEM axle assemblies are 450 bucks a piece LOL

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Polaris decided they were only going to warranty one... yet another reason to not buy extended warranties. what a joke. whats even worse is OEM axle assemblies are 450 bucks a piece LOL
what is their reasoning behind only fixing one under warranty? they have to have proof of abuse to legally deny a warranty claim.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is their reasoning behind only fixing one under warranty? they have to have proof of abuse to legally deny a warranty claim.
the "said" it had a rip in the boot. well thats bs cause a rip wouldn't cause the whole darn thing to snap. i don't even ride it hard enough to break like that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the "said" it had a rip in the boot. well thats bs cause a rip wouldn't cause the whole darn thing to snap. i don't even ride it hard enough to break like that.
Wouldn't the boot being ripped be due to the axle shaft snapping? I don't follow your dealer's logic here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea you would think, just a way for them to not have to warranty it i guess. just annoying, its been at the dealer now for about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yea you would think, just a way for them to not have to warranty it i guess. just annoying, its been at the dealer now for about 3 weeks.
That's the worst - Mine was in the shop for over a month getting the exhaust repaired. Lost out on some prime riding time. I think what I hate the most is making a payment on something I didn't even get to use.

I think you should fight it - by law, they are required to prove you abused the unit to deny that claim! At the same time though, I would understand just paying it to get back on the unit. I did the same thing when a rear axle nut came loose on mine and made some "interesting" grinding noises while riding - just paid it so the dealer and myself didn't have to deal with Polaris on the warranty.

I see you're a repeat Polaris customer too... I love the quads, but man does Polaris suck to deal with for warranty support.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the worst - Mine was in the shop for over a month getting the exhaust repaired. Lost out on some prime riding time. I think what I hate the most is making a payment on something I didn't even get to use.

I think you should fight it - by law, they are required to prove you abused the unit to deny that claim! At the same time though, I would understand just paying it to get back on the unit. I did the same thing when a rear axle nut came loose on mine and made some "interesting" grinding noises while riding - just paid it so the dealer and myself didn't have to deal with Polaris on the warranty.

I see you're a repeat Polaris customer too... I love the quads, but man does Polaris suck to deal with for warranty support.

Good Luck!
I decided to get aftermarket front axles and try them out. hopefully it solves the issue. still not sure how i see all these other people with 30 inch zillas in mud all day and i seem to break them left and right. broken 3 axles now in about 300 miles. And you're right, it is very frustrating when the dealer has it for so long for something i could do in an hour. oh well, big toys break and cost big money to fix LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep that's what they also told me, broke one on mine and they said they would fix it just this time next one is on me, I now have a set for sale as I lifted 5" and went with longer axles

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been pretty brand loyal to polaris, but i never have any luck with them at all when dealing with warranty work. Been pretty close to either switching to canned ham or buying a rzr, they seem to put more time and effort into the rzr program than the atvs any more.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I used to be brand loyal. Now I buy what I want, if it gives me troubles, I move on.

Being brand loyal is just stupid! Lots of great products out there!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used to be brand loyal. Now I buy what I want, if it gives me troubles, I move on.

Being brand loyal is just stupid! Lots of great products out there!

yea i agree there is. really the only thing keeping me around with polaris is 1. the power of the 1k is sweet, and 2. the awd system is second to none. can am 3 wheel peel just isn't appealing to me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts