Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine runs strong, but burns oil and there's a knock by the lifters. Is it ok to still run it? I Imagine the rings are bad? Maybe the cylinder is gouged, if I keep the oil filled and still run it, will I damage other parts?
I want to get a new cylinder and piston, but funds are tight. by running it will it hurt it further?
what would be causing the knocking
, is it the lifters?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've seen a couple of agricultural engines run until they seized. Pistons and cylinder walls sustained the most damage, so you're correct to plan on replacing those parts. Aluminum melts at lower temp than steel, so other parts are more survivable. If it still runs strong, you must still be getting good compression. I suspect you just scored the piston a bit, but rings are likely still intact. IMO, the worst of the damage is already done, and the risk of catastrophic failure is low. I wouldn't be afraid to run it for a bit longer and see if the knock gets any worse. Keep the rpm low just in case, while you wait for a more convenient time to overhaul. I hear winter is coming soon to MN....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ this. prepare to do more damage if you continue to run it. metal floating aroudn inte h crankscase is never good. no matter how small the particles are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grr I expected the worst. I've been told is possible to change cylinder and piston without removing the engine is that true?

thanks for all the help!,!

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Engine runs strong, but burns oil and there's a knock by the lifters. Is it ok to still run it? I Imagine the rings are bad? Maybe the cylinder is gouged, if I keep the oil filled and still run it, will I damage other parts?
I want to get a new cylinder and piston, but funds are tight. by running it will it hurt it further?
what would be causing the knocking
, is it the lifters?
I'd have to agree with many of the others.... the main damage is done, but I'd overhaul/rebuild it soon. I'd too guess that most of the damage would be to piston, rings and cylinder walls, but could also have damaged crank bearings, which could lead to a new crank shaft and more money and problems. I'd get a quote and also see what a used replacement may run you. Maybe a new machine will be in your future as year end clearance pricing is now on! But it all depends on how much you like your current machine.... is she clean or used up? If she's "used up" (trashed, scrap, beat up...you get it) I'd pour in a little LUCAS motor oil treatment (or the likes) and run her until she gives up the ghost.

Was it asked...... is this a 2 or 4 stroke machine??? I know the cut off / switch from 2 to 4 is in there some where!

I hear winter is coming soon to MN....
Snowing here this morning..... likely (hopefull) woun't stick yet though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts