Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just buy an 2001 sportsman 400. But I have a little problem. When I turn on left side, I listen a Toc toc on rear left axle. Do I have To replace my axle?
Or it's the differential working. I just this noise on concrete.
Thanks your help

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
might be time for outer hub bearings.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you only notice it on hard pavement I wouldn't worry about it. You have to realize 4 wheelers have what we used to call a "positraction" rear end not a differential like a car. The right and left rear wheels are essentially locked together. When you make a turn the outer wheel has to travel a farther distanc than the inner wheel; i.e. on a left turn the right wheel has to travel farther than the left. Because they're locked together something has to give. The inner wheel is forced to turn more than it wants to so it tends to bind and release bind and release with the tire scuffing against the unyielding pavement. You don't notice it so much on dirt because the softer dirt moves when the inner tire turns. However, since it's 13 years old and you just got it, I would jack it up and take the wheels off. Make sure the boots are in good condition and the CVs are greased. Check for any excessive plan in the wheel bearings and the CV joints.

·
Registered
376 Posts
CV's make clicking sounds when turning on pavement, you can buy a axle or just the outer cv I buy all my axles from Thecvman on ebay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts