Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I have an 08 Sportsman 300. Want to check /change the belt but housing cover will not come off. Back side comes loose but the front seems like I forgot to remove a bolt. Can’t tell why or what the bleep is holding it on. Any help ????

·
10,332 Posts
The clutch cover on that machine has a ball bearing #4 in the front part of the cover. If you have all the screws removed I'd guess the bearing is rusted to the shaft. Not sure what the trick would be to get it off but you should be able to pull out on the cover with one hand and tap on the center where the bearing is with a rubber mallet and get it to vibrate loose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch cover on that machine has a ball bearing #4 in the front part of the cover. If you have all the screws removed I'd guess the bearing is rusted to the shaft. Not sure what the trick would be to get it off but you should be able to pull out on the cover with one hand and tap on the center where the bearing is with a rubber mallet and get it to vibrate loose.
View attachment 139160
Thank you so much !! I’ll give it another go tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found this image on eBay. Inside pic of what I’m dealing with I imagine. Is the bearing something my Polaris dealer would have ? I’m guessing I’ll need to replace it.

·
10,332 Posts
The Hawkeye and sportsman 400 use the same setup so they may have it in stock. If not ebay, partzilla or Rocky Mountain should be able to get you one in a few days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered used clutch housing cover off eBay just now. After fighting with this thing over 3 hours, it does appear that bearing is seized on the clutch shaft. Will carefully cut it off and see what’s going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Hawkeye and sportsman 400 use the same setup so they may have it in stock. If not ebay, partzilla or Rocky Mountain should be able to get you one in a few days.
Dear PolMan -
Thanks for the insight on that ball bearing inside the cvt cover. Thank God for eBay. I have a new housing / cover coming in the mail. I ultimately had to cut mine off. It wasn’t the clutch shaft stuck in that bearing. It was a (god blessed ) secret bolt coming in from the opposite side that was giving me the problem. I have attached another image here to explain. In this pic, it’s the small hole at approx 3 o’clock. Drives me crazy because I viewed no less than 5 YouTube videos on various Polaris quads, and none had this secret bolt holding on the cvt cover. Either way, I spent $42 on a replacement cover - could be worse.
1E9181C4-4681-4594-8759-5422BBCF0A23.png

·
10,332 Posts
Well I'll be! You saying it came in from the other side? I went back and looked at all the diagrams thinking I may have led you astray and I can't find any other screw there anywhere?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You in no way led me astray. Enlightened me to this special bearing I wasn’t aware of. By the way I still cannot see where the head of this mystery bolt originates. It’s way up under there. I love taking things apart and making them better. Very frustrating when you can’t even take it apart. Thanks for your insight. Thankful for these forums

1 - 12 of 12 Posts