Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me. My 2010 sportsman 300 has an engine tick and it's doing my head in trying to find it!

The bike had this issue when i got it, it also had scoring in the cylinder. I have had the cylinder honed and fixed up but there was still a tick.

I have just replaced the cam chain and plastic guides thinking this would have solved the issue but it didn't.

I have readjusted the valve clearances to spec but am now running out of ideas of what it could be. i really does sound as though it is in the cylinder head??

Are there any common issues like this?

If you could please have a look at my video on youtube, any advice would be much appreciated

https://youtu.be/0Rs5DRcDaLo

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hmmm... these older 300-800 motors do 'tick' a little, but not usually quiet that loud. I was going to guess valve clearance, but you state that's been done..... :dunno:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
possible exhaust leak?

I haven't had my engine apart at all so I'm not familiar with the internals. Is there any kind of lifter? I know Hydraulic lifters in car engines can cause a knock if there isn't enough oil, or they are gummed up, but I don't know if these engines have anything like that.

You've confirmed that the piston bushings, and crack shaft bushings are all in good condition?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had my mechanic friend replace the piston and rings. He said he thought the crank shaft and bushings were in good condition.

I'll buy a new exhaust gasket and 'Tappet Stop Noise Lubricant' to hopefully clean the valves etc.

It takes weeks to get any parts from the US :smashfreakB:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sounds like severe piston slap or play in connecting rod. I'm assuming your mechanic friend is a certified u tube mechanic as I see he sealed up your poor engine with orange rtv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made the call to use the sealant... the wrong gaskets arrived and it would have taken about 5-6 weeks to send back and receive the correct set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts