Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started with cleaning carb-new plug -fuel filter -did all the obvious ..Service manuel talks about CDI interfering with forward motion .Took all plastic off the bike -unplugged cdi and reconnected .. Started bike and ran like a rocket .No problems .....After put back together problems started again . Has anybody come across this problem before ??----------------Under the section ---Troubleshooting---talks aboult the ETCswich limiting speed or Reverse speed limiter-limiting speed ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is going to sound counter intuitive, given that you have cleaned the carb, but here goes. My 2008 Sportsman 400 HO has done the same behavior you described, off and on, for three seasons. Cleaned the carb twice and the issue comes back intermittently.

On a lark, while in Home Depot, I looked at a tube of stuff called "Mechanic in a Bottle". I had tried Seafoam last year and had mixed results, but I still believed that this was a fuel quality issue so I bought the MIAB and tried it out.

They suggest using it in two scenarios. Non running bike; drain the tank and pour in MIAB. Prime the carb by cranking the engine long enough to get the product into the fuel system and leave it (either four hours or overnight, I forget which). 2nd scenario is what you describe and what I had going. Bike starts and idles fine, but any increase in throttle results in sputter, surging and some backfire. In this case, I put 2 oz in a can of fresh fuel and poured it into the tank. Started it and ran for 10 minutes. It idles and continued to sputter at any throttle increase. After 10 minutes, I shut it down and waited 4 hours. Turned out to be about 7 hours as I got distracted with other stuff. When I fired it up, it sputtered a bit for a few minutes,but then suddenly ran clean and continues to do so. Once, after a few days, it began began to sputter after starting it in 30 degree weather so I poured in the remaining 2 oz. of MIAB and the sputter went away after a few minutes. It has run clean ever since.

I believe that this problem is a gift from the ethenol producers that keeps on giving unless you treat your fuel. Now I am also using "Ethenol Shield" (same manufacturer as MIAB) as a stabilizer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts