Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just bought and 08 - Sportsman 300 LE for my wife. I want to add a rear luggage/seat on the rear rack for my daughter to be able to sit in while we go on trial rides. My duaghter is only 5, 30lbs. so no adults.
I know they all say "not for riding" but people do it any way.
I ahve seen ones like Moose Trailblazers, and they look like what Im looking for, but they also seem very large and bulking. This is a smaller quad, so Im concered I wont find any that fit right..
Any one out there have any experience on this one?? And ones fit better than others? Pics would be great to.
Thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have the WES Industries Classic Standard on my 700. My kids actually prefer it over the rear seat on our Touring.

I have put it on my 300 as well and it fits just right.

The Kolpin seats look OK but the back rest leans too far forward on them and the handholds are very hard to grab. The WES seat accounts for the natural forward lean of the rack and has hand holds like a handlebar.

Stew

·
Registered
503 Posts
My only concern is that these mid-size models (the Hawkeyes and Sportsman 300/400HO '08-'10) have very little structural bracing or metal in the racks. Be sure that whatever you mount on the (plastic) rear rack is secured to the square tube brace at the rear or the frame mounting points that are shared with the bodywork. Even using the "lock and ride" mounting points on the rack won't yield an overly rigid structure. (The front rack or "lid" is even worse as the only metal in it is a thin brace along the front edge that the hinges are mounted to. The other side of the hinge is just fastened by what look like wood screws into the plastic bodywork. Not impressive to be sure.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. would it be to much to ask AKStew, to send me a pic of your set up on the 300? This box looks nice and what I am looking for. Is there enough structural frame on the rear rack to mount it securely too? I had the same concerns as 1of7627 expessed. I only plan on having my 30 lbs. daughter on it, but same breath, it is my little baby girl, you know...
I really like this seat.
Thanks again

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sorry it took so long. The first two are of the 300 with the Kolpin seat. The last one is the 700 with the WES seat that I recommended.

Stew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW Thank you. Great veiw by the way in pic #3. So you would reccomend the WES seat on the 300.? and it fits just fine and not other issues?
The Koplin, jsut is not as comfortable? Is that the main reason?
Thanks again. this is agreat!!
josh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stew, do you remember which exact models these are, Koplin & WES? I see there is alot of models, just want to make sure we get one that fits like yours.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The WES model wins for me hands down. The WES Classic Standard is the one you would need. There are several WES models that look alot alike but the bottom seat pad on the classic standard is shorter from front to back than the comfort standard and doesn't interfere with the rider's seat position. It actually provides a bit of lower back support for the rider. The classic deluxe is the same except it has grip heaters.

Overall, the WES is a couple inches wider than the Kolpins but because its base is narrower than the overall width it will fit on the 300.

The Kolpin model we currently have is the Kolpin Atv Rear Lounger W/ Cooler. We've also had the Rear Lounger with Helmet Storage. My kids hated them. On both, the seat backs actually lean froward when in position on the rack forcing the rider to do the same. The handholds are very uncomfortable and would be very hard for your young kid to hang on to. Their little hands have to wrap around the top of the armrest at the front and grip really tight. They get tired quickly and can't keep themselves from sliding forward in a sudden stop either.

Until we got the Kimpex Adventure box for our touring model, which has the same handle setup as the WES, my kids and adults alike preferred the WES on the rear of my 700 over the rear seat on the touring model. They said it was more comfortable and felt more secure. The WES's grips are more like a handle bar and are much more ergonomically placed. They are also recessed into the box which keeps the wind from hitting your kids' hands. That doesn't sound like much until you ride out on a brisk morning.

1of7627 has a good point...the rack on the 300 isn't really made for this kind of thing. IMO, your kid is small and these seats are only about 20 pounds so you should be OK. I would not let an adult ride on the back unless it's a real emergency.

I gave you the Amazon links just for reference but you might find a better price if you shop around online.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Stew

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here's a shot of the WES box in action on the 700. My daughter was 11 and weighed about 70 pounds at the time. Note where her hands are holding on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stu, thanks again. this has been a lot of help. My local store carries a brand called the "quadboss" and its style is the "weekender". They tell me that WES industries makes this also and is very similar in design and function, but they cannot get the WES brand..?? They look very similar on the web... I found both online for around $240.00 ,free shipping... Anyone know if they are the same style, just branded different names??
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts