Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently picked up a 99 sportsman 335 and the clutch belt keeps engaging at idle. my idle is really low so im pretty sure thats not the problem, any ideas ?

replys much appreciated,

DB

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
i recently picked up a 99 sportsman 335 and the clutch belt keeps engaging at idle. my idle is really low so im pretty sure thats not the problem, any ideas ?
Hey DB. It could be one of a hundred things. Take the clutch cover off and inspect inside. It could be as simple as a wrong belt, weights busted/sticking, or a worn spring. You can't really tell without looking inside.

Let us know what you find in there and we'll get you going again, this time when you actually hit the throttle :biglaugh:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey bgirard,

i bought a brand new pure polaris belt from my local dealer, threw it on and the problem persisted so i know the belt is ok and i havent looked at the weights too closley but last time i had it open i game them a really fast once over and they looked okay. Also when its idleing the clutch doesnt move in at all, the belt just grips the clutch for some reason.

Thanks so much,

DB

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey bgirard,

i bought a brand new pure polaris belt from my local dealer, threw it on and the problem persisted so i know the belt is ok and i havent looked at the weights too closley but last time i had it open i game them a really fast once over and they looked okay. Also when its idleing the clutch doesnt move in at all, the belt just grips the clutch for some reason.

Thanks so much,

DB
:hmmm: :thinking: That's weird.

How new is the quad to you and has the creeping been there since you got it? Any chance the PO changed out the primary? Otherwise you can check the motor mounts. Also, you could adjust shims on the secondary to get belt off the inner sheeve of the primary. Have you measured your deflection?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iv had it for about 2 months now and i first noticed the creeping about a week after i got, and ill play around with the shims when i get back, and iv read about deflection but i don't know how to measure it :sad:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
iv had it for about 2 months now and i first noticed the creeping about a week after i got, and ill play around with the shims when i get back, and iv read about deflection but i don't know how to measure it :sad:
Measuring belt deflection is easy. Take a straight edge and lay it across the top of the belt, it should go from the center bolt on the primary to the center bolt on the secondary.

Then take a tape measure and while pulling down on the belt at the center point (between the two centers of the clutches), measure the distance from the straight edge to the belt.

I'm not too familiar with the magnum but most specs call for 1 1/8"-1 1/4". Less than 1 1/8" is too tight and can cause creeping.

Otherwise, like I said before, your clutches may be out of alignment and need some shimming of either the secondary or the engine.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
oh ok thanks ill measure the deflection when i get back, but what do i do if its too tight?

You'll have to shim and/or move the motor. Take a good look at your motor mounts too, make sure they aren't worn or broken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts