Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first post here. I hope this site helps me solve a problem and maybe I could help others sometime!

Anyway, I have a 1999 Polaris sportsman 335 and the oil cooling fan does not come on at all. I have tried to bypass the temp sensor by unplugging the 2 yellow/black wires coming from the sensor and turned the key to on...nothing. I have power going to the fan as the red/white and orange/black wires coming from the fan are both "hot" and light up my test light.

Now, I was able to get the fan working when I unplugged the orange/black wire from the fan and grounded it to the frame. I see this orange/black wire goes to a black box that I think is a ECM??? Is there a wire that I should be checking that comes from this ECM that could be a ground that is loose?...Or would a bad ECM not be allowing a ground connection? Is there a way to test the ECM itself?

Much thanks in advance!

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you can figure out ho to get it to run off the ignition switch, think you'll be fine. Both my Arctic Cat and Polaris' fans come on when I turn on the key. Water cooled, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to rule out if I just have a bad ground somewhere or if it's the black, square ECM module. If the problem is the ECM and they are expensive, I would hotwire it to be on all the time (should be easy to do this) but if it is just a bad ground, I would like to fix it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this black box that the oil temp sensor goes to (that I have been calling the ECM) really the rev limiter? I found a link here that describes this box exactly! http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/36665-1999-sportsman-335-rev-limiter-question.html

I also have been dealing with what I though was carb issues as I have no power and it's sluggish even going forward. I though the rev limiter only limited in reverse but if it is shorted out could this also be causing it to be bogging in forward? I thought it was just bad gas or needed a carb clean because it was just pulled out of storage after sitting half a year or more...but I wonder if this "rev limiter" got fried because of a short or something. There was a bunch of mice bedding inside but I didn't see any obvious chewed wires and like I said, The wires going to the fan are hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am Experiencing the same things, Did you ever find a solution ?
thinking it’s my fuel pump or carb but my fans isn’t running. You have me wondering.
——
Is this black box that the oil temp sensor goes to (that I have been calling the ECM) really the rev limiter? I found a link here that describes this box exactly! 1999 sportsman 335 rev limiter question

I also have been dealing with what I though was carb issues as I have no power and it's sluggish even going forward. I though the rev limiter only limited in reverse but if it is shorted out could this also be causing it to be bogging in forward? I thought it was just bad gas or needed a carb clean because it was just pulled out of storage after sitting half a year or more...but I wonder if this "rev limiter" got fried because of a short or something. There was a bunch of mice bedding inside but I didn't see any obvious chewed wires and like I said, The wires going to the fan are hot.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Hello, I am Experiencing the same things, Did you ever find a solution ?
thinking it’s my fuel pump or carb but my fans isn’t running. You have me wondering.
Nothing like reviving a 5 year old thread :rolleyes:

The red/wht wire is hot - brown is ground when the LR60 module senses the thermistor is closed, it turns the fan on - if the temperature continues to rise, the hot lamp comes on - PERIOD! See table below.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts