Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just picked up a 98 Sportsman 400 2 stroke - I had hoped it was not starting due to carb issues but turns out it's got very low compression. Does anyone know if the top end can be done with the motor still in the quad? I have done Yamaha's this way and it seems to save a lot of work wrestling with the motor. Thanks in advance to anyone with experience with this job.

Anything to look out for with these old 2 strokes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great, thanks. Previous owner deleted the oil injection and went premix... thinking I should undo that. Anyone have input on that being a good idea? The oil injection have known issues?

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Personally, I prefer the oil injection, but if the oil pump was removed (as it should have) and the throttle cable modified to eliminate the pump control, it would be quite expensive to collect all the parts and reinstall it - if it was just disconnected and the pump has run dry, the first thing to do is check that the pump works before considering hooking it up again. Run dry, the pump can lock up and destroy the drive gear or the worm gear on the counter balance or both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts