Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Sportsman 400 4x4 not staying in low gear when engaged. If I hold it forward, it'll stay in gear, as soon as I let go, it'll pop out. The high gear forward and reverse work fine. I can see the low gear linkage moving, but it doesn't click into low.

·
Premium Member
9,933 Posts
Pretty sure the older models the linkage/detent can be adjusted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch, this worked. I checked the fluid and it was pretty thick like grease. I'm going to drain it and put new stuff in there. Do you know what type of fluid I can use and how much?

·
10,685 Posts
20 oz. Polaris AGL tranny fluid. Motor oil will work in a pinch.
Check your shifter box too. Clean out any gunk and fill it about 1/2 way with clean motor oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put her back together and let her idle for 15 minutes when the Temp light came on. I did replace the fan and the temp sensor that plugs into the radiator. The radiator has been drained and new fluid added. I noticed the fan doesn't turn on. Is there an internal water pump that could be the problem or should I chase down why the fan isn't turning on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, It ended up being a bad crimp to the fan and trapped air that needed to be purged. I was finally able to go for a ride after three years and she's running pretty good. Is there a way to adjust the Carb oil mixture? It seems like maybe two much oil is being injected as it smokes a bit. It's a 2 stroke, so I know it's supposed to smoke a little but this seems excessive.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Of course the injector can be adjusted, but first, what kind of oil are your using, how long has it been setting and how long did you ride it? It takes a while (maybe as much as 20 or 30 minutes of riding - not idling) to sweep off the oil that has pooled on the the crankcase floor and stabilize the mixture. Mineral oils smoke more than synthetic oils. If you ride it for 1/2 hour at a time for three or four outtings, the oil is approved injector oil and the pump is set as specified by Polaris, then adjust it down some - more oil is better than not enough oil, so give it some time, check some things and adjust it later if you need to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using Lucas full synthetic 2 cycle oil. It's been sitting for about 3 years. The person I purchased it from totally abused the machine. I had to replace a ton of parts and was finally able to get her back together. I'll take your advice and drive it for a few outings and see if things clear up. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I don't find any Lucas two stroke oil that is injector approved

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you recommend I use? I purchsed the Lucas at an auto part store. That's what they suggested.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Use any INJECTOR AOPPROVED oil - PJ1 Silverfire, Golden Spectro, Honda GN2, Klotz Techniplate, Yamaha Y2S, Polaris Blue, but whatever you select, stick with it - don't mix brands willy nilly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts