Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sportsman I recently bought had 500 HO stickers on it but when I ran the VIN number they said is was actually a 400. The problem is I had already bought a new CV shaft for a 500 and installed it. It seemed to go together fine but the other one is now in need of replacement.

Should I buy one just like I bought for the 500 or should I order the one made for a 400?

I don't know if the chassis' and suspension are the same size and if there will be any problems if I use the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
cross reference the axel u bought with the vehicle u now know u have and see if it takes the same part # or if it is a different axel altogether.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check the part numbers for the two, but the late model 400's and 500's are pretty much the same platform except for the engine. Really bites that you got a 400 that was misrepresented as a 500. Seems like that would be illegal or something.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Check the part numbers for the two, but the late model 400's and 500's are pretty much the same platform except for the engine. Really bites that you got a 400 that was misrepresented as a 500. Seems like that would be illegal or something.
Im sure it is but how much do you want to spend in attorney fee's to set it straight. Plus if it was not the original owner how would he know either. Emblem's are alot cheaper than a different bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts