Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2014 sportsman 400. This is my second issue that is showing up on this machine.

Last Friday I washed the ATV with a hand towel and water. (not high pressure). My water was free flowing from the hose pipe. I did wash the entire ATV. I'm sure I ran water onto the rotary switch that indicates which gear the transmission is in.

Saturday I was riding the machine in low. I noticed the indicated changed from L to N. I stopped and shifted through the ranges and sure enough, it showed N in neutral and low. A short while later it quit indicating while it was in neutral but was still showing N when I was in low. I drove it down the road and warmed up the transmission. When I got back home I shifted throughout the ranges again and a short time later the indicator was showing correctly again.

Yesterday I was out driving it in low and it happened again. I drove it down the road to warm up the transmission again but there was no change. I got off the machine and shifted it throughout all the positions, PRNLH and it still showed to be in N while it was in low. I thought I would see if it would start in low while indicating N. I tried to start the machine but it didn't start but the indicator changed back to L.

Now to my questions...with the strange behavior of it correcting it's self, would the rotary switch be the only possible cause? or the most likely cause? If not the rotary switch, what else could be a cause?

The machine is under warranty. I stopped by the dealer today but they were closed. If the probable cause is the switch, I'm hoping the dealer will just give me the switch to put on myself and not have to haul the ATV to them and leave it just to have to make another trip to pick it up.

Thanks,

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's really strange. As I was reading, and knowing its a 2014 by the description, I kept thinking to take it to the dealer. If your dealer is anything like my closest dealer than they won't just give it to you. On a side note, I've washed mine a number of times and never was cautious to not spray anything and I never had this problem. I guess it don't really spray the screen if I can avoid it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts