Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sportsman 400 that idles fine but when you touch the throttle it floods out
cleaned the carb, changed the fuel, changed the plug gapped at.035

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
How do you know it floods out? What are the indications and how do you restart after it floods?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe the float in the carb is sticking. does it have a manual choke also?
Yes it has a manual choke by the key
I checked the float and the over flow tube
i am going the pull the carb again and remove the (2) jets and float pin

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
If it idles fine and only floods when you try to accelerate, the main jet probably fell out of the jet holder in the float bowl

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Gas gets into the oil when the fuel is left turned on and the vehicle is not running

·
Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
118 Posts
Gas gets into the oil when the fuel is left turned on and the vehicle is not running
Yup. And/or the fuel petcock failed. (Same result though.)
Idle the engine nice and warm, the fuel will "come out". You may get some rpm surges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Thank Both of you
How does the gas get in there ,there is no fuel pump?
the needle on the bottom of the carb should be 2.75 turns out,(pilot jet) what that do ?
and I tried to find the wire for the backup boost button that might cause the sputtering 2001 sportsman 400 4 cycle
this is my 87 year old's fathers machine for puttering around his property

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Gas will over flow the float bowl for a variety of reasons, run down the throat of the carb, seep past he valve (if the engine didn't stop with the valve open), seep past the rings and collect in the crankcase. Fuel may just evaporate from the float bowl, condense in the throat of the carb and migrate to the crankcase. If the fuel is shut off and the petcock is not leaking, the problem is avoided.

The pilot screw sets the idle - the tapered screw on the bottom of the carb is a drain screw - backup boost button? I presume you are referring to the reverse override button? On the LH handlebar switch assy. Why do you want to find the wire?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some suggest the control may stick causing the shuddering to (disconnect it)
The screw valve I mentioned is located on the bottom front by the intake

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the fuel pump ( it clicked) and when i hooked the hoses up and blew and draw on the vac line gas pumped.
on/off/reserve valve works good.
the vac line on the pump pulsates (we running in idle pulled off vac hose machine cut out) heard vac.
fuel filter good.
would it be smart of me to get a new carb
thank you for your help Jim

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
It would be smarter to take it to an experienced mechanic instead of throwing parts at it to see what sticks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts