Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my 450, I am new to ATVing and not much of a gear head, but pretty mechanical capable and willing to try and tackle anything. The problem I am having is lack of power transfer, I think. I've searched the threads and thought my problem was a worn belt, changed belt still have same problem. Engine seems to have full power and does fine on flat, but as soon as you start to climb, engine still sounds great, but no power to pull hill. There is a rattling noise coming from the drive clutch area, clutch rebuild, maybe? Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

·
10,585 Posts
When you changed the belt did you check the sheaves for wear? They should be smooth with a straight angle top to bottom. Sounds like you may have a groove worn toward the bottom so that you're losing grip on the belt. It's also a good idea to sand or use a scotchbrite pad on the sheaves working straight up and down from top to bottom and going all the way around both clutches when you change the belt to take the glaze off. Then clean everything good. The rattle is from the spider buttons worn out and gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 06 450 sportsman. Last year mine did the same thing would pull it self up any kind of hills, or could only get 20 mph. Let it cool done then it would go about 35 for 5 to 10 min. Then slow down again. It acted like the rev limiter was kicking in.
Went to a couple of dealers they didn't know. One said it was the fuel pump, valve adjustment. Another said the cid box.They both said the belt. Had the fuel pump replaced and fresh gas filter and gas with the dealership where I bought it. (Less of 2 fixs I thought) It fixed it till I went out to play. Same thing ran like cr*p. Than a Mr Fixit Guy asked if I had cleaned the fuel petcock. Guess what the petcock had some stuff in it. Since then NO PROBLEMS. Plowed snow all winter and just 60 miles last weekend along with going up any hills.
Hope this helps Dale

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would the spider buttons just be referred to as buttons in the Polaris Parts list? I assume I should replace these if they are worn out or gone, right? What is their function? My sheaves don't have a groove but the were pretty glassy. Thanks for any additional input.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, seems like a popular thread lately. I have an 06 450 as well and I'm starting to have a similiar problem. I had the belt replace last year and the dealer sanded down some grooves that had worn in the clutch. I did a couple of rides last summer and also used it to plow my driveway all winter. I haven't used it all spring until today. I went out on the trails today and everything was fine at first. After about twenty minutes of some tight single track, I pulled into a side trail and all of a sudden I'm revving the heck out of engine and the bike is not going anywhere. I thought I was stuck on a log or something. It would barely move in reverse or forward. I took it out of AWD and it did a little better but not much. I shut it down for about 15 minutes then started it up the bike was at least able to move. I kept it in 2x4 and made it back to my truck but I could tell I didn't have all the power I normally do. Even when I drove it up the ramps into my truck, I barely made it up. Usually the bike has no problems going up the ramps. After I got it home, I drove it around the yard and it seemed almost ok, maybe a little underpowered but I was able to go up and down the truck ramps alright. Also when I start out in HI, it took quite a while to get up to speed. Like the belt was slipping.

I normally ride in LO when trail riding (usually I'm doing less than 20 mph). I also use LO when plowing my driveway.

Anybody got any ideas? I have not torn it apart yet. Thank you.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree, it's probably the buttons. The clutch on mine doesn't have any problems, but it is fairly weak. Sooner or later I'm going to drop in a clutch kit when I get the $.

One thing about working on the clutches: Mark one of the sides where the two halves come together before you disassemble. These clutches are balanced from the factory and must be put together the exact same way.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Wow, seems like a popular thread lately. I have an 06 450 as well and I'm starting to have a similiar problem. I had the belt replace last year and the dealer sanded down some grooves that had worn in the clutch. I did a couple of rides last summer and also used it to plow my driveway all winter. I haven't used it all spring until today. I went out on the trails today and everything was fine at first. After about twenty minutes of some tight single track, I pulled into a side trail and all of a sudden I'm revving the heck out of engine and the bike is not going anywhere. I thought I was stuck on a log or something. It would barely move in reverse or forward. I took it out of AWD and it did a little better but not much. I shut it down for about 15 minutes then started it up the bike was at least able to move. I kept it in 2x4 and made it back to my truck but I could tell I didn't have all the power I normally do. Even when I drove it up the ramps into my truck, I barely made it up. Usually the bike has no problems going up the ramps. After I got it home, I drove it around the yard and it seemed almost ok, maybe a little underpowered but I was able to go up and down the truck ramps alright. Also when I start out in HI, it took quite a while to get up to speed. Like the belt was slipping.

I normally ride in LO when trail riding (usually I'm doing less than 20 mph). I also use LO when plowing my driveway.

Anybody got any ideas? I have not torn it apart yet. Thank you.
Sounds like the sheaves are worn..i'd take the primary apart and look for wear...their problay not making good contact and the belt is slipping...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Could a slipping clutch be heat related? Now that my ATV is nice and cool, I took my four wheeler out today (after it had been performing so poorly on the trail the other day) and the power felt fine. I could apply aggressive throttle and spin the back tires without any problem.

It feels like it's back to normal but I'm nervous about taking it out on a trail again. I'm afraid of getting stuck somewhere. Any thoughts? The dealer told me last year that I will eventually need a clutch as my sheaves are worn (they were able to polish them a bit).

I'm not really excited about $400 for a new clutch. My ATV only has about 125 hours (550 miles) on it TOTAL (it's a 2006).

·
Registered
94 Posts
ok, I wanted to give an update on what I found. I ended up talking to Brandon at EPI. He thought a clutch kit might help so I bought the kit, plus an extreme duty belt. I installed the kit today.

First, the sheeves on the drive clutch seem fine, a little grooved maybe but I was able to take some fine sandpaper and fix them. I pulled the drive clutch off and replaced the weights, sanded the sheeves smooth, and replaced the primary spring with the one from the kit. I also sanded smooth the bolts that the weights ride on. They were a bit corroded but not bad. I also cleaned the whole clutch with brake cleaner. It looks like new now.

Then onto the driven clutch. These are fun to take apart if you have never done it. I watched the video on the EPI site bit I don't have one of those special tools they used to compress the helix/coil while they take off the snap ring. I ended up using a very large c-clamp and it worked like a champ. After I got the helix off, I noticed three plastic pieces screwed down inside where the helix and spring go. They were almost all completely destroyed. Luckily my polaris dealer was open and they had them in stock. $6 later and I had them replaced. Good to go. I think this may have been my primary problem all along.

Anyway, got it all put back together and everything seems fine. The engine braking seems a lot more pronounced now. I wouldn't say I notice a huge difference in engagement but it feels fine. The only thing that seems a little different is that it's more difficult to get into Neutral now. Not sure why.

I hope that is the end of my problems. Just need to break in the belt. I will say that although very expensive ($430 for the EPI kit, plus extreme duty belt, delivered), the EPI company was very responsive to my questions before the sale and they delivered the whole thing very quickly. The belt is a MONSTER compared to the stock one. It feels VERY rugged and it's toothed on both sides. I guess it keeps it cooler.

So far so good...

·
Registered
14 Posts
If any snow, water or mud has entered the clutch compartment area,it would cause your belt to slip. Also check that your air intake to the clutch hasent bee blocked. Lack of air flow through the compartment, can cause the clutches and belt to over heat and slip. You may want to unscrew the drain plug to the clutch compartment first,to see if any watet comes out. Then pull the side cover to clean out.This suggestion is for anyone having lack of power due to clutch problems. Hope it helps someone.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Rudy..... Your belt and clutches need to be cleaned periodically because so much belt dust builds up in there. I couldn't believe the cloud of black dust that I had when I used compressed air to blow it out the first time.....wow!
The buttons in your secondary do wear out easily as they are plastic and need to be replaced. Worn buttons will severely affect the function of your clutch.
Sand your clutch sheaves lightly, clean and inspect both clutches and the belt. After that, run your bike with your cover off and watch the operation of your clutches and belt as you rev the engine up and down. You tube has some good videos of the proper operation.
If your bike has little power with your engine revving ok, your belt is slipping (dirty , etc) or your clutches are worn out but can usually be repaired.

Army.....

In my opinion .....you didn't need a kit at all. A good cleaning and maybe some minor parts replaced like the ones u mentioned would have made your clutches work like new again. EPI kits can work wonders to our bikes, but again in your case , not necessary.
If you're having trouble shifting gears in neutral , it's probably your drive belt turning when it shouldn't be. Take your clutch cover off and run your machine in neutral to verify. If this is the case , I would guess your extreme duty belt is a touch too wide and rubbing one side of your primary clutch sheaves. Once it wears a bit , it should be fine or you may need to align your belt better.....

·
10,585 Posts
LOL...I know it's easy to miss, but the original post was 2 1/2 years ago in the middle of summer. I doubt he had any snow on his belt and if it ain't fixed by now...:chairfall: Good advice anyway but just saying....

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you read my post, it says snow rain or mud. The post was intended for people with clutch problems in general. It wasn't meant to amuse you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi everyone, yeah this post is pretty old but my wheeler has been running flawlessly since I upgraded the clutch system and fixed the other problem areas. After a short break-in, I was able to shift gears very easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts