Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a 2016 Sportsman with a bad crankbearing or case bearing. I need to remove the engine and disassemble to determine the cause. The engine is hard to turn by hand and has a squeak as i turn it over. Although there is oil in the machine it is extremely dirty and doubt it was ever changed in 1100 miles.

I have never worked on an EFI engine, and my main concern is the sensors, esp the TPS sensor. In reading a 570 manual it says that the voltage has to be set on the TPS via Digital wrench? Is there a work around for this just to get it started after reassembly. If i can get it close and hear it run then i dont mind hauling it to the dealer for a digital wrench fine tune...

Any tips on removing the engine from the chassis?

I will try to document it with pics and video for ya folks!

DTLMG

·
8,879 Posts
Don't move the TPS. Just take the throttle body off without disturbing the TPS and it will still be factory set. There is no adjustments for any other sensors.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any tips on crankshaft removal and installation? Looks like special tool is needed

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had some time over the holiday to remove the engine and do a partial tear down. So far it looks as only the Con Rod is welded to the crankshaft. I cant go any farther until I get the flywheel removed (gonna get a proper flywheel puller unless someone knows a trick not to damage top end of crank using the pry up and hit crank technique) and case split (do i need the puller to R&R crank from crankcase . I did discover a pleasant surprise that threw me for a loop...The engine in this model year is actually a 570. Quad Model: 2016 MODEL A16SEA45A5 I wanted to do a leakdown test prior to disassembly however there was no way I could get the engine to TDC Here are a few pics. Now I wait until i get the correct tool Patience is not strong point of mine.

20191130_204002778_iOS.jpg 20191130_211505992_iOS.jpg Flywheel nut.jpg

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What's the VIN of the vehicle? You got a copy of the service manual?
4XASEA45XGA617729

I assume when I go to order parts i need to order parts for a 570 WPS has two different gasket sets and oil seal kits listed... i think i need the 680-8995 gasket set and the 182-2170 seal kit You sent me a service manual, but the engine for the 450 is only a single cam, and the spark plug hole is smaller which is what starting throwing me for a loop. I checked the VIN and its the correct engine. I assume what happened is they were out of engines and dropped the 570 in it.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
The engine in the 450 was was supposed to be a 499 cc (Prefix 499EG) - the same engine was used in the ACE 500 and Ranger 500, but in the ACE and Ranger it was a 499AR

From the VIN:
Model Name - SPORTSMAN® 450 H.O. VELOCITY BLUE
Model Year - 2016
Model Number - A16SEA45A5 - 45 is the engine designation = 450 - engine would have been model 499EG
Purchase Date - 9/5/2016
VIN - 4XASEA45XGA617729
Engine Serial Number - 0120527218151
Factory Warranty
Start Date - 9/5/2016
Expiration Date - 3/5/2017
Extended Service Contract (ESC)
Start Date - N/A
Expiration Date - N/A

By the engine serial number it is the originally installed engine and you got a 570EG instead of the 499EG - Polaris must have run short on the 499 engines and subbed the 570 (they are basically twins using the same crankshaft and other parts). You should use the service manual for the 17-19 450/570

It is recommended to use special tool PU-50784 to remove and install the crankshaft - it is $205.50 retail - $150 dealer cost. On that particular flywheel you pretty much need a designed puller.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Engine looks pretty clean Dave. It appears you made a good purchase there!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Failure and cause determined: Con Rod bearings are welded to the crank. Im gonna say no engine oil change in 1500 miles prob did it in as the sludge in the bottom of the pan is so thick it prob wont flow through the pickup screen. Now I wait for the crank to come back from Mr Crankshaft.

20191203_010916618_iOS.jpg 20191202_202153862_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
That's a roller bearing rod, so failure is attributed to:
#1) extremely high RPM for a long period of time (running on a road at full throttle for a half mile or more will do it)
#2) lubrication breakdown due to infrequent oil changes, low quality oil used, high oil temperature or a combination of those factors.
#3) defect in materials

1 - 11 of 11 Posts