Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just purchased an 06 sportsman 500 HO. There's only 1 issue with it. In order for AWD to work, I have to hold the override button on the left side of the handlebars. Anyone have this issue or know whats going on?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

·
Premium Member
2004 Polaris sportsman 700
352 Posts
Does your display read high or low when you are driving forward? Anything else wrong with the display? It should only do that in reverse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your display read high or low when you are driving forward? Anything else wrong with the display? It should only do that in reverse.
It doesn't read anything when I'm driving forward. In fact, the only way I know its in gear is if I give it a little gas

·
12,667 Posts
You have a problem with the gear position switch or the wires or connection to it on the tranny.
#24 in the diagram part number 3233835
Check the wiring and connection to the switch first. If all appears ok it probably just needs the switch replaced.
The speedo should show what gear its in. If not, you have a malfunction and must hold the override to get 4x4. When working correctly you only have to press the button to get AWD and full power in reverse.

·
Premium Member
2004 Polaris sportsman 700
352 Posts
polman got to it before me! if it's fully digital then, as polman said, you have a problem in your gear position switch. This is causing it to either go into a failsafe mode or think it's in reverse. You can go into diagnostic mode on your dash by shutting the machine off, shifting into neutral, putting on the parking brake on the left handlebar, and turning the key back on while simotaneously holding the reverse override button on your left handlebar. The display should come up with a weird symbol. Once that happens you can let go of the reverse override button and click it to scroll through the different diagnostics. One of them will be a built in ohm meter for the gear position sensor. Every gear you shift into should have a different ohm reading from the display. If it doesn't, then you can verify your problem as being the gear position sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts