Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, Good news in multiple ways:

-- I ordered a starter and tore into the thing. Found the cable on the starter was installed poorly and it was barely connected. After installing it solidly the machine started right up. I am returning the new starter and Bendix. . . !

-- the next day my neighbor suggested I just sell it and buy another brand. . .

-- Yestereday. . . I sold it for $300 less than I paid 4 yrs ago.

However, the original posted problem(engine dies persists). The latest symptoms are that it dies during the initial warm up period. At first idles fine, then gets into a partial warmup transition where it will die UNLESS you hike the throttle RPM up a bit for about 2 or 3 minutes. If so, you can let off and it will idle fine and not die. However, randomly, after driving it warm, if you stop it will refuse to keep idling and just die. Restarts fine though.(as long as the starter cable is on correctly!)

I DID point out the problem to the buyer and he bought it regardless. I don't believe the problem is related to the throttle cable as a result of inspection proves it is NOT the same as fixes suggested by some. . . STILL, my final conclusion is that the float needs adjusting or the idle jet needs cleaning OR something related electronically to the Capacitve discharge ignition like the trigger coil being bad or damaged . . . This will be resolved by the new owner. He plans to drop it off at his Polaris dealer.

Any votes / guesses as to most likely problem?! thanks.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
It's kinda broad, but I'm guessing electrical part or associated connection.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts