Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Greg. Although i am very handy when it comes to mechanic work as I can work on just about anything with directions I’m unable to determine what the problem is because I know little about the ATV world.

But I need everyone’s help because unfortunately I’m tired of people taking advantage (ATV shops) of me.

I purchased a sportsman 500- 1999, It has approximately 4000 miles on it. I bought it for my neighbor who is a fairly honest gentleman as I’ve known pretty well and he told me that it was overheating when he took it for a trip up a mountain and it overheated 16 miles into the trip.

He said he took it in to one ATV shop and they said that it was possible the water pump.

A friend of mine who is very familiar with ATVs checked multiple areas. The water pump was working perfectly fine as it was spinning when the engine was on, We had a few extra parts that were brand new so we went ahead and replace them. That was the *thermostat in the radiator, The *thermostat in the engine block, And the *heat switch which is connected to the engine block. After everything was connected I did notice the ATV was always a little bit hesitant to start but after they got started it ran perfectly fine in fact I took it up and down the street and let it run for for 35 minutes and nothing indicated that it was overheating. But I still do not feel comfortable because I’m the type of person that I don’t wanna get stuck in the mountains with a broken ATV.

I took the ATV to a local ATV shop, It started up just fine with a little bit of hesitation but once I got running and purred. The ATV shop had it for over a week and they finally fixed it when I threaten to come pick it up because I was told one day but it took them two weeks for them to get to it. I won’t take it back there again.

Unfortunately when I went to go pick it up the gentleman who made every attempt to have me buy a brand new ATV, Told me my ATV would not start which I am extremely confused because it started and ran when I dropped it off $%#!

Then he told me it was the Stator Assembly which has gone out because there was zero ohms getting to the connection.

I asked him if that could be the issue for the overheating because for some reason I feel like the fan is not going on and he said it could just be that the fan is not getting enough juice because the stator is not working.

I’m trying to diagnose this on my own with assistance of others because unfortunately I live in a small town and everywhere I go just to install stator they want $500 to $600.

So I’m wondering based off the information I have told you if anyone else could provide me with any more leads on what issue could be.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Wow a lot going on here. From what you're saying here that shop seems suspect. But I can't be certain of that. Question is does it run now??? There are tests that can be done on the stator that will confirm its condition. We can go over that but there are some things to chk first. As for the over heating issue it sounds like it was solved but you still have concerns?????? First thing with any overheating condition is a THOROUGHLY clean radiator!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ditto on the radiator cleaning. Just take a garden hose and start spraying until the water comes out clean. It took 20 minutes on one of mine that had dirt packed in there from years of neglect by the past owner. That also solved my overheating problem on that one. Another thing I’ve found is that the fan switch in the radiator goes bad, even sometimes when it tests good. The switch will close at temperature (tested by ohm meter in a pot of water over heat), but will not allow enough juice through to run the fan. This has happened twice to me (I have 4 of this era polaris ATVs), once on a brand new (Chinese) switch. The only way to really test the fan function is to put the ATV up in the air (wheels safely supported off the ground), and run the ATV (I do it in gear because it takes forever to get it hot enough if it’s not spinning the wheels) until you get it hot enough that either you hear the fan kick in, or the the temp light comes on. Then you know for sure either way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when I got the ATV it would start up after a little bit of hesitation meaning I’m not too sure if it was just cold or something else going on. I actually drove it off the trailer and parked it when I took it to the shop it was running perfectly fine had plenty of power I got it up to 45 miles an hour drove around my neighborhood in a couple miles. Once it warmed up and start right away but when I dropped it off at ATV shop I got suspicious because the guy kept on trying to get me to buy a new ATV I told him I didn’t have the money at the moment so I left it there. I have already purchased the tires for it and he got a little bit irritated I didn’t buy tires from him so I finally told him after waiting almost 2 weeks I was just going to pick it up when I arrived they told me they just found the problem and that the Stator had no omni, He said because they can get started they can check to see if it was overheating , The real problem I brought it in there was a check to see if it overheating not to walk out with the electrical issue. I asked him if that might cause overheating issue and he said possibly if the engine is not good enough juice it’s not gonna turn on the fan. I can’t find anything on the Internet it says the stator will cause overheating issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BP 405: Can I use a low pressure setting on a pressure washer to clean the radiator out? I’m only asking because most of my houses are sealed up for the winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bp405 and Micoviso: I did the flashlight trick that’s on the Internet and I can see the light to the side but I never washed it out.
We did check the thermostat fan switch is connected to the radiator the old one worked and I use that method with the pot of water and omni meter. But regardless I replaced it just to make sure there wasn’t something else wrong and that would work as well..After I placed all of parts I wasn’t too sure if The overheating issue was fixed or not so that’s why I took it in.

But now I have a new problem because I took it and running and picked it up not running it has a brand new battery and you can hear the starter turn over but it won’t fire through

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Ok well the rad sounds ok for now.

So is the starter cranking the motor over fast or slow. If it's turning over strong you can assume for now the battery is charged. Next is to determine if it not starting due to lack of spark or fuel!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note from repair shop: First source coil is bad should be 445 ohms between red and black/red this machine has 0 ohms.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Be advised; the ignition system does not require a battery - the battery is there to run the starter motor.

The CDI ignition system stores voltage generated by the stator plate exciter coil in a capacitor or condenser (in CDI box). At the proper moment a voltage generated by the pulser coil closes an electronic switch (thyristor) in the CDI box and allows the voltage in the capacitor to discharge into the primary windings of the ignition coil.

Verify the dealer you took it to has reconnected the wiring - if not, we'll start in the middle and works towards an end. If the wires to the source (charge) coil are not connected, get your handy multimeter, set it on the lowest ohms scale if selectable and check the ohms on the stator side of the connector between blk/red and green (record the value) - check between the red and green (record the value) - check between blk/red and red wires and record.

If the wiring is all plugged together, then we'll start at the beginning:

When you get time, get the spark plug out of the engine and check for spark - if no spark, disconnect the black wire at the CDI box and check for spark - let me know what the result is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
latebird:[ we'll start in the middle and works towards an end. If the wires to the source (charge) coil are not connected, get your handy multimeter, set it on the lowest ohms scale if selectable and check the ohms on the stator side of the connector between blk/red and green (record the value) - check between the red and green (record the value) - check between blk/red and red wires and record.]

i checked the wires, they were connected. About about this multimeter....are you talking about the wires that come from the stator (two plug in, two yellow wire and brown wire

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes - the two wire plug is for the pulse coil and the 3 wire plug is the charge (exciter) coils plug

OK - start with checking for spark with the black wire unplugged (it's probably that single black wire just below the connectors)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts