Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 500 Battery Relocation

30K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  Willshire 
#1 ·
Hey folks, I have a 10' Sportsman 500 carb. Im looking at changing the battery location to under the seat like the 05 800 efi. Gets it out of the fenderwell and also a larger battery. Has anyone done this?

#2 ·
ovrkil, I had a couple 500s over the years and the battery is pretty good where it is. Never had one get damaged or fail from the location. Seen some people build boxes and put a bigger battery on top of the racks. The best investment you can do for your battery is a tender. It will last for a long time and stay charged year round. Are you having difficulty starting in real cold weather?

#6 ·
You could probably stuff a pretty decent sized battery under the seat without changing things drastically.

#8 ·
im thinking the rear storage will be in the way to get too large of a battery in there? and Id hate to cut the bottom off that storage trunk. I do like the idea of getting away from those over priced atv batterys though they just don't last, u should be able to fit a large motorcycle batter between the frame rails under that seat if u can deal with the nose of the rear storage box as I said..keep us posted what u fig out

#11 ·
I just looked. The storage box doesn't extend more than 1/2" under the seat.
There's also not as much room as I thought there was between the airbox and storage box.

From orbit via Android.

#12 ·
that's what I was getting at if the snout of the storage box wasn't there u would have tons of room almost enough for a small car battery but because of useless back snout in that trunk box ur kinda limitied to what u can use that space for... I like bigger batterys they last longer then these mini atv batts

#13 ·
I like this idea. I'm going to take a look at that option. I busted the latch off my rear storage box doing wheelies so I just screwed it shut, never used it anyway.

I would probably just eliminate that storage box and weld up a battery box.
I would really like if I could find the room for the smallest Optima Yellow top.

#20 ·
Looks good!!

#23 ·
Dude, are you a retired Machinist/Fabricator or something? That looks first class! Are you going to have to alter the rear cab?

#24 ·
Looking real nice. Almost ready for powder.
Are you keeping the storage box door or just mounting the fairlead on a plate in place of it.

I'm toying with a rear mounted Terra 45.
I like having the rear storage box. That mounting point along with a big easy to service battery is growing on me.

From orbit via Android.

#26 ·
It may get a little hot reaching in over the muffler to grab the freewheel knob. I might want to add an aluminum flange to the RH side of the winch plate as a heatshield over the muffler. Maybe add Thermo Tec or some other heat shielding on top.

Damn nice fab work on the battery box and mounting plate BTW.

#28 ·
You're giving me ideas. It's tempting me to remove the storage box...

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.