Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding in some deeper snow, and was getting stuck more often than usual.

I switched from reverse to forward a few times,,,,the finally "pop"!!

I was reving with no movement (Belt slipped off)

Winched it back to truck,,,next day I removed the belt,,,it was off, and looking pretty warn and frayed.

I replaced it! (not mechanically inclined, so that felt good)

With a new belt I felt like the bike was 10x more powerful and was pulling alot harder!!

Is this normal?
Can a worn out belt cause a slow decrease in performance?
Or does it either work or not?

Sorry I am pretty new to ATVing,,,,but loving it even more with a NEW belt!!!:veryhappy:

any suggestions welcome!
THanks

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Normal. They can slowly wear or fail at once. Sounds like you did both! You didn't mention the year.
Glad you're liking it AND fixed it yourself...it does feel good to fix your own stuff fr sure!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
+1 These machines like belts in good condition!!

Glad to hear you were able to remedy the situation yourself :beerchug:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes....a worn belt decreases in performance for sure. The new belt is wider and clean making the edges able to grab the clutch sheaves better = more power.
Good job on changing your belt. I hope you blew out the clutches with compressed air and then cleaned and scuffed your primary clutch sheaves with a scotch brute pad a little while in there? This will make your current belt and clutch work good longer.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
OP How many miles/hours on your 06????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wiped down each clutch,,,did not have a clue about scotch pads....
I have to walk before I run!!!!

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad I found this, my 13' has 1200+ miles on it from a lot of trail riding, noticed its getting a little slow. Now I have a project for this week!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If used properly 1200 miles should be nothing for these belts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts