Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding for about 15min, and I stopped and turned off the machine. I went to start again and it would not start. Gas was leaking from the bottom of the Carb so when I got back home I took it to the dealer who just installed the brand new carb. They called me back and said the float bowl was cracked, so I brought one from the old carb. They then told me that the "CAM CHAIN" snapped and broke completely. They said they have never seen this happen! Well as of this moment they dont have a soloution and I am waiting on them to call me. I am interested to know from anyone out there if this has happened to them before and is it fixable and what could have caused that?

The dealer asked if it was under extream load, or if it backfired and it was not and it did not backfire. I was only cruising for about 10-15 min. I just pulled up to some freinds and turned it off, then it would not start. If they did not adjust the new Carb correctly, could this cause something to happen in the engine that would snap the "cam chain" (they referred to it as a cam chain)

Thanks to anyone who responds

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I have heard of the camshaft wearing out and a couple cams breaking. How did the float bowl get cracked? New carb. What year model do you have? Did the flywheel magnets come apart and cause this? That is the only idea I have. My guess would be the dealer mechanic broke the float bowl trying to get screws loose that hold it to the carb. Did the oil have gas in it? If so the float stuck, filled the cylinder with gas, and when it started the piston created so much pressure that it broke the chain. Another thing would be the valves were to tight.
My 2 cents. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard of the camshaft wearing out and a couple cams breaking. How did the float bowl get cracked? New carb. What year model do you have? Did the flywheel magnets come apart and cause this? That is the only idea I have. My guess would be the dealer mechanic broke the float bowl trying to get screws loose that hold it to the carb. Did the oil have gas in it? If so the float stuck, filled the cylinder with gas, and when it started the piston created so much pressure that it broke the chain. Another thing would be the valves were to tight.
My 2 cents. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks for the reply!

Its 2004 sportsman 500. I brought it in to have looked at because the carb needed a new float and fuel mixture screw. The dealer said they could not locate a screw for this machine and because I had a trip planned and was in a rush, I just bought a brand new carb. They installed it, put the machine on my trailer and I went on my way. When I got to our camp site, I turned it on and ran it for like 15 min, then shut it off and it would not start.

I was already pissed about spending $700 on a new carb+install and the bowl was broken.

Should I assume the motor is now completely shot or can you just replace the cam chain?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My buddy's 05 had the cam gear come lose and then it actually broke in two pieces. I don't think it was properly torqued from the factory. We replaced both gears and the chain. It wasn't too bad to fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts