Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004.5 clicking- chattering noise when I try to start it. Battery shows 13+volts.The noise seems to come from the battery area. The last time I started it I had to stay on the key for 5-6 seconds until it started. Started bad or does it have a relay gone bad? Anyone ever have a similar problem?

·
Registered
919 Posts
You have good voltage and the clicking means the relay is likely working as well. The clicking also means there is power to the relay. I suspect a bad connection from the relay to the starter, or from the starter to ground via the engine ground strap. More often than not there is a dirty/corroded connection somewhere.

The starter relay is right beside the battery under the left fender so that's why the clicking comes from that direction.

Stew

·
Registered
337 Posts
Check, clean and tighten all connections first. Don't forget the ground connections. Apply dielectric grease to prevent corrosion at the connections.

When you turn and hold the key on start, does the relay click ONCE,.....or does it truly chatter. If it really chatters (cycles on-off-on repeating very quickly) it MAY mean that either you have a weak battery, AND/ OR a bad cable connection AND/OR your starter's current requirements are causing the otherwise good battery's voltage to drop down below the point necessary to keep the relay energized , (or turned ON in other words), Then when the relay turns off, the battery's voltage recovers just enough to re-energize the relay and start the cycle again thus causing the chatter.

Relay should NOT chatter. However, Chattering doesn't necessarily mean that the relay itself is faulty.

How old is your battery?

·
Registered
83 Posts
While you are trying to start it, wiggle the cable going into the relay, my predator was doing the same thing, and it turned out that my relay had something wrong with it internally. Another thing that you can do to rule out the relay is to jump across the terminals to see if it engages the starter or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
just because you have voltage does not mean you have enough amperage to start a vehicle.

Check the ground connections at frame, engine and battery.

CHeck to make sure the terminals on the relay are tight and clean.

Terminal on the starter and where the starter bolts to the engine (ground)

Relays rarely fail, often changed out of frustration and the problem is solved. Usually because the terminals got cleaned tightened or moved in the process.

When a relay chatters its because there is momentary voltage to operate the relay but when the rig tries to start it drops voltage and the cycle begins. If it clicks once its trying to start put your meter on the battery and see what it does when you try to start. VOltage should stay above 11 volts starting if not you have issues and a weak battery too.

I have seen wires frayed where they will pass voltage but not enough current or amperage to start a rig too. wear, nicks, cuts and mice can do lots of damage to wires.

CB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, some very helpful info. I was going to take the grandson out to do some work on tree-stands before deer season starts. Checked the voltage BEFORE starting the machine it was not the same as when I put it away the other day. It did start and I drove it to the front of the house to to recharge. After being on the charger for 1/2 hour I thought that should do it. On the way to the trailer it quit running, display went blank also. I waited a few minutes it started BUT quit again. Checked voltage- lower 12volts showed on the meter. Got off the machine, went into the house to the computer and ordered a new battery. Should have it by the end of the week. BEFORE I put the battery in I'll check ALL the wire connections. Hope that does it. I'll post later on how it went. Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would like to add check voltage before starting and again after starting. if the voltage does not increase when running to more than when it was just sitting with key off your charging system is not charging. you can start with a charged battery and ride the ATV as long as the battery is charged but when the battery electricity is consumed by the lights and ignition system it will die. good battery or not once started and running it should be able to continue to run off the electricity produced by the charging system. the only thing that would not allow this would be a bad connection on the gharging system or battery positive cables. check fuses too I think there is one in the charging system too

CB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed a new battery----- Problem solved, started just fine. I'll check the charging system later. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Installed a new battery----- Problem solved, started just fine. I'll check the charging system later. Thanks for the help.
Same issues with me, hoping to get a new batetry this week. And now I know where the hook up is for a battery tender, will be hooked up to it from day 1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Silimar clicking problem when trying to start...

Hi - I am having the same problem, but the battery did not solve my problem. Right now there is a new starter, new relay, and new battery. Battery is fully charged, I hook it up and get about 4 or 5 cranks out of it then it just starts clicking at the relay. I have a solid 12.5 charge, when I am trying to crank and the relay just clicks, the voltage drops to around 7v at the battery, so something is wrong. Any thoughts? I checked and double checked all the connections at battery, at starter, and at relay, as well as the ground to the block. 3 brand new parts and still only clicking - very frustrated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New battery??????? I would take it out and have a auto parts store check the battery under a load. May have a junk battery. Where did you get it. Was it a quality battery or a cheapie?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, just got it last week. We went to our local place here in Northern CT Enfield Motor Sports, usually very good luck with them. I just did the tests from the shop manual and I'm stumped. I'm going to check the battery cables and maybe replace them as they are cheap, but it seems like a long shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1der - you are a wise one. I brought the battery back to the place I bought it, they load tested it - no good! They gladly swapped it out for a good one, and upon hooking it up - excellent cranking! Thank you for the advice - you made my day!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you found your problem. Man I feel your pain when you can't find the problem. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut in the forest sometimes. Glad to have helped. I have found the guys on this site to be very helpful. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
just a heads up... this was happening to me too. Turned out to be the belt shreaded after 200 miles and was wrapped around primary. If you cant solve it after trying all electrical options, it could be belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to add check voltage before starting and again after starting. if the voltage does not increase when running to more than when it was just sitting with key off your charging system is not charging. you can start with a charged battery and ride the ATV as long as the battery is charged but when the battery electricity is consumed by the lights and ignition system it will die. good battery or not once started and running it should be able to continue to run off the electricity produced by the charging system. the only thing that would not allow this would be a bad connection on the gharging system or battery positive cables. check fuses too I think there is one in the charging system too

CB
I have a question I'm having the same problem with my sportsman 500 I change out the battery etc it's also died while I was plowing snow I need to know where the fuse for the charging system?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts