Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quad is abot three years old, 1000 miles on it. Started hearing some noise from the under carriage, when I would put it in AWD, and coast it would pull to the right. And during desent I would hear clunking. Got worried so I took it to the shop, mechanic told me the pins in the front end by the clutches got loose and stuff started to mesh. Well to fix this problem $1300.00 BUCKS! Has anyone else had this problem? Won't be buying another Polaris in my life time. SO upset!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Sorry to hear that this happened!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
weird, the clutches are even near the front. they should have nothing to do with it pulling one way or the other. do know exactly what he told you....something is not adding up for me

·
Registered
483 Posts
I believe he is referring to the Hillard clutch and pins.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would get a second opinion, take it some else and see if they say the same thing. its an 06 right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a 2007, to late repairs already done, I did ask for the parts when they are done. beofre this I loved and breathed Polaris, comon 1300 thats crap. Only 1000 miles on the damn thing and I am in no way an Evil Keinaval kind of guy! sigh

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah I just got done looking at the microfiche at prices and that Central Hillard clutch is not cheap. I have to run old stuff. I would cry if I had a new machine and something of that caliber broke. I have dang near rebuilt my whole machine for that price. Yamaha ah? I have a 92 big bear 350 4x4 that refuses to die, lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A lot of people don't, but that is exactly why I purchase extended warranties. Parts on atv's are just to expensive. I have seen all brands have problems that cost big money. That is why I am no longer a Kawi rider. But I think all machines I have owned have had the extended warranty pay for itself.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
i haven't been on this forum very long but from the threads that i have read ,polaris does seem to have a problem with the new style hubs(differential and the like). there was one guy on here that went to the john deere dealer and got his front end parts cheaper. i take it polaris make the jd stuff.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I prefer the older spindle Hillard clutches myself, I don't have to take the front end apart to work on them. I think keeping the fluid changed often on them is a must(old or new). I change mine after ever hard trail ride I go on. Takes me about ten mins. Sounds like a lot of maintainance i know, but it's worth it not to tear it down. The old ones are simple though, the Hillards are pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
483 Posts
really, what year are you running. I work on a lot of older model Polaris's and never have a problem with the spindle Hillards unless the hubs are completely dry from seal damage. I have a 95. My brother has a 94 and had a 93. I have two other friends with older Polaris 4x4,s and the 4 wheel drive is usually the last to give problems.
I am not a fan although of the never models with the single centralized Hillards they tend to cause more problems, but also i think proper maintenance is the key to longevity of Hillards.

·
Registered
483 Posts
No problem, I figured that you were. I have read a lot of threads here of problems with those. My neighbor has an 05 500HO, he is starting to have problems with it as well. I recommended to him that he change the fluid, machine has 1100miles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The 04 sportsman has the hillard clutch in the hubs, Just keep the fluid changed and you'll get long service life from the hub hillards.:happy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts