Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got these 2 codes come up and quad has a hard time idling but will run good at higher speeds/RPM. It will backfire on the occasion and will stall when i'm coming to a stop.

You guys think i should be looking for a new MAP sensor and fuel pump??? I'm more than capable to change all that but a little useless when it comes to testing it and a little on the cheap side to bring it to the shop!!!

Any ideas???

thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Do you have a manual? If not code 45 is barometric pressure/manifold air pressure sensor low. 56 is fuel pump open load/short-to-ground or fuel pump: shorted load/short-to-battery. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply...yes i do have a manual and yes that's what it's telling me it is. I'm just curious to know where to start basically. From what i've been reading so far, it seems to point to the MAP sensor and a fuel pump but hey i can be totally wrong. I just want to try to understand it all before i take it apart!!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
In my X2 manual, which includes the 500 EFI, 56 is the fuel pump relay versus the fuel pump itself. Not sure if that's significant or just a different choice of words. It could be the relay is bad or the fuel pump is going bad and causing the relay to send an out of spec reading to the ECU. I'm pretty sure your 500 won't have individual relays and fuses. It will have a Power Distribution Module that is a single box containing circuitry that replaced the relays/fuses.

Here's good thread for EFI: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/29632-electronic-fuel-injection-101-a.html

I would check the wiring harness to the MAP sensor. The sensor itself rarely goes bad unless there is physical damage somehow. The wiring harness is another story. The copper strands inside the wires will often break right near where they enter the plug to the MAP. Try pulling on the individual wires to see if one of them is "stretchy." Also do it with the engine running to see if it causes a difference in idle quality.

Stew

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
It does seem to be the map sensor. But maybe someone here with more knowledge about the thing will be more helpful. Hope you get it worked out, keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey Stew, where would find this Power Distribution Module to even look at or even relays if it has any?!?!?

·
Registered
919 Posts
hey Stew, where would find this Power Distribution Module to even look at or even relays if it has any?!?!?
PDM is on the underside of the crossmember at the top and just forward of the radiator. Silver box a little bigger than a cigarette pack with fins on it. There would be two large plugs going into it. It's "supposed" to be non-serviceable but I know a guy who cracked it open and found a bit of moisture, cleaned it, dried it in his oven and siliconed it. Fixed his problem though I don't remember exactly what that was.

Relays if you have them, are little 1-inch cubes and would likely be under the "hood" just beneath the the headlight pod, next to the ECU.

Stew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts