Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I spend alot of time on this site and want to thank everyone for all the great info.!! I have never reg. because I dont have much to add. I usually find everything by searching pages. Anyway I have an 06 500 that had water in the recoil for some time. When it is cold in the am the starter just spins, so I pull start it, after that the starter works but drags a little. When I took off the recoil it is all rust inside. Is there anyway to clean or lube the bendix? There is not much wear on it. The dealer said it was $100. I found one online for like $25 (DB electrical). Has anyone dealt with them? What would be the best way to clean up all the rust? sorry so long! Thanks for any input!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
that's a good price on a starter drive. you may want to take your starter off and take it apart for a cleaning also. you'll be surprised and how much gunk gets in there.
brake parts cleaner and an old toothbrush
i've not had much luck cleaning the starter drives, it seems that by the time you get to cleaning and try to reuse them the lil ears inside are all wore out and will not grab.
if you or any of your friends own a boat ,steal some of their marine grade grease and use a couple dawbs on each of the bearing ends,starter drive shaft also of the starter . marine grade tends to not fling off as much as regular lithium based stuff

·
Registered
96 Posts
i do not know about a 500 but there is a drain plug on my 300 2 stroke to drain any water in the housing. it is under the fly wheel of the case not the recoil housing. i do not know about what or how much lube to use i would like to know mt self.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts