Polaris ATV Forum banner

sportsman 500 help!!!

3K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  soron3842 
#1 ·
i have 2005 sportsman 500 H.O i am working on for a friend. he was riding it and it blew the plug out of the head did not take any threads with it so im thinking it was just loose and worked it self out. after that it will not run i finally got it to start after a while of messing with the throttle. if i time it just right i can i can get it to start have to have it at W.O.T to keep it running it only runs at aout 300rpm will not rev up as soon as i let off the throttle it dies and backfires out of the carb. i have tried everything i can think of. please help im beating my head against a wall with this thing. than you in advance..

#6 · (Edited)
ok after checking the timing again this morning for the 100th time it is right. i finaly decided the pull the cam found that the lopes are with in spec. but found a pretty nice grove wore in the exhaust rocker where the decompression ball rides. also the desompression lever that slides in the end of the cam is wore down on one side where the ball drops out of the way when engine is running. i am wondering if if the ball is getting hung up in the decompression position not letting enough compression out cause of the grove in the rocker causing my hard start issue. but letting out just engough compression that when i get it to start it wont run right cause its letting out just a lill bit of the compression when its running. does this make any sense to any of you guys ???c

#14 ·
ok so i got the decompression lever and exhaust rocker arm replaced. still no go on starting. the compression came up to 60 psi though. first try on starting it after replacing the rocker arm and lever i got one very loud backfire through the exahust then nothing else. any ideas?

#18 ·
yes new plug no i havnt sprayed starting fluid in it yet been trying to avoid that i do not like using starting fluid. but here is another thing unless i did it wrong i finally found my timing gun hooked it up. marked the T and the advanced lines on the magneto with a white paint pen cranked it over niether white mark showed up with the timing gun?

#23 ·
Ok I finally have an update. got it running come to find out this 4 wheeler had been to two different polaris dealers. they kept throwing parts at it with no success. they put new stator and pulse coil on . all ignition electrical parts tested good. what i came to find was when the new pulser coil got installed they hooked the wires up backwards. i switched the wires at the cdi box and it fired right up. now I have a running problem. with the air filter removed it runs decent but with the air filter installed it runs rough at about 1/2 throttle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.