Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sportsman 500 and it starting overheating while working it moderately. (temps in the low 80's ambient) I would then stop and let it cool and while the key was in the on position, (not running) you would hear the fan kick in and then to start to slow down, then die. It would run like it was not getting enough power and stuttered and then dies. If you turn the key off and then back on it would repeat. I replaced the fan, and tried it last night. It kicks in and runs, then, goes on and off running about 20 seconds or less then shuts off and starts again only to go right back off. Is there a sensor that is trying to get a signal to the fan that is bad or what? Any help is greatly appreciated. I dont want to put under a work load and have overheating and cause damage......

·
10,585 Posts
Probably just a bad fan relay. You can get one at any auto parts store for about $8.
Thake the old one with you to match it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem is that on the previous old fan it would whine down and slow up. The new fan it just runs and quits, repeats. Anything else it could be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I did run it again yesterday in mild heat and it once again overheated, the fan initially runs for about 20 seconds then there after it will start/stop several times and there is a clicking sound under the front deck right before the fan runs everytime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I replaced the fan relay and now the fan is not coming on at all. I ran it for about 20 mins in low around the yard and then sat the machine in the shop for a few minutes and still did not come on. It s about 75 out right now. The other day before replacing the relay, it did overheat again while just sitting on the trail running while I trimmed some trees down our lane. I shut it off for a few minutes, but this time, while it was reading HOT ENGINE on the dash, the fan did not come on at all. Hoping it did not fry the new fan now. Any help ?????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And so the fan does work and was not burned out. I did use it again this aftnoon and the fan still did not come on. any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
There are two versions of the 06 500 - carb and EFI - the wiring harnesses are different - which one do you have?
What's the VIN for verification?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Where is the VIN located?

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
LH lower frame rail in front of floorboard behind front tire - should start out 4XA - will be 17 digits long and it is on the title.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so heres what I find and comical as it is I think it says 4XAMH58AX3 then cant read after that......

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
By the partial VIN, it's identified as an 03 - if the 3 in the 10th position is a B then it's a 2011
4 indicates it's made in the US
XA indicates it's made by Polaris Industries
MH58A should be MH50A
MH = Chassis design
50 = 500 cc
A = Emissions
X = Check digit (can be alpha or numeric) - The check digit is calculated by removing all of the letters and substituting them with their appropriate number counterparts. You then take those numbers and multiply them against a weight factor table. You then have 16 numbers which you add together and then divide by 11. The remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10, then the check digit is “X”.
3 or B is the model year - B = 2011

Based on the partial VIN; I calculate you have a 2011 Sportsman 500 HO model A11MH50AX with a carburetor.

What I cannot determine is which plant it was assembled in or the production sequence as I have never recorded working on an AX or AZ model.

Here is how I extrapolated this info:

Armed with this information, I can tell you there is both a relay and circuit breaker controlling the fan

The relay turns on with the key switch - it should close (click) when both the key and handle bar switches are in the on or run position - power from the battery passes through the circuit breaker, then through the relay, then through the fan switch in the radiator to the fan. The clicking you are or were hearing is most likely a faulty CB and the wiring diagram identifies it's location as Left Rear Frame Rail By Starter Solenoid.

Knowledge is POWER!

Now fix it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so heres what I found. There is nothing near the solenoid but this was mounted up front, and tonight I checked the fuses and the one labeled EFI was not only burned out but it must have gotten hot because it was melted in. I would imagine the whole fuse panel is toast and is this what you meant by CB?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts