Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m a new member but I’ve been using these forums recently to work on a 2010 sportsman 500 HO I bought recently. I’ve only had the bike for around 2 months and have replaced a few things like....
New starter
New bendix
New speedo guage
New fuel pump
New oil and oil filter
New air filter
New spark plug
New battery topped trans fluid and front and rear gear fluid.
And repaired a loose connection on the fan.

When I bought it there was zero smoke at any RPM. It would start and run well once I replaced the starter/battery/bendix. It did not have a speedo guage when I bought it and had a manual switch to engage the AWD(that’s for another post). But this issue did start right before I put the new speedo in so I don’t know if that is relevant or not. I just want to be as detailed as possible.

When the issue started..
I was running an electrical line to a light bar I was installing and was putting some pressure on the old fuel pump while routing the line, like I said don’t know if that’s relevant but that’s when the issue started. I installed the light bar and started the bike and backed it up into where I store (maybe 10 feet) it where it sat for 4 days at that point I didn’t realize anything was wrong. I’m thinking it still had fuel in the carb and lines it was running on? 4 days later I went to start it like usual and it fired right up with the choke open and ran for maybe 60 seconds then when I went to step on the bike it died and hasn’t started since. I’ve done a lot of trouble shooting using the forums on here but I’m not sure what my next step should be. Since it wouldn’t start I bought a new fuel pump and installed it $14 on amazon. I have tried testing it and get zero fuel out of the line from fuel pump going to the bottom of the carb( I turn the key with the fuel line off the carb to see if I get any fuel coming out) I can put fuel down the spark plug well and get it to almost start for a second or two but i think it just isn’t getting fuel from the tank to the carb. Any ideas would be greatly helpful and I will follow back up and keep the post updated with y’all’s suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
Probably not a bad idea to drain the carb and make sure there's no water or crap in the bowl. By my recollection the 500 HO had a basic impulse pump that helped move fuel to the bowl. My 2001 used to start in most any weather without choke. Super reliable machines overall.

Simple things checked like fuel valve on, plenty of gas in tank etc correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel valve is on and tank is 1/2 full. It would usually start without the choke that is correct. I haven’t pulled the carb yet. I was trying to avoid that as I’m not the most skilled person working on bikes lol. Is there any posts on how to remove the choke cable and throttle cables from the carb?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think there is a drain screw in the bowl. I would try that first. Maybe run gas hose to carb via hanging tank IV style.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Spray the air filter with starting fluid and see what happens - it may have just fouled the spark plug - if it starts for a second or two with starting fluid it's most likely a fuel problem - if it doesn't start on starting fluid, change the spark plug and try again

·
Registered
95 Posts
Fuel valve is on and tank is 1/2 full. It would usually start without the choke that is correct. I haven’t pulled the carb yet. I was trying to avoid that as I’m not the most skilled person working on bikes lol. Is there any posts on how to remove the choke cable and throttle cables from the carb?
You need a “special” tool to remove the choke cable. Mine consists of a modified 12mm wrench via grinder. Works great once you get it right. If I remember later, I’ll post a picture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally figured it out after taking everything apart for the fuel system. First, I replaced the fuel “pump” still couldn’t get gas out of the tank when cranking. I though maybe the fuel pickup was clogged? I took the fuel sender out and there was the issue. The fuel line that sits in the tank on the fuel sender broke. As it was running When it initially died the fuel level must have dipped below where the fuel pick up elbow connector is. I modified the fuel line and reconnected the fuel filter pickup. Runs perfect again now. It makes sense now that it would just all of a sudden stop running now, but no fuel to the carb will do that lol. Thank y’all for all the help!! I appreciate it a lot

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts