Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 2009 sportsman 500 HO in February- the rear suspension seems too hard. I am told the it is adjusted to the softest it can be. I read somewhere( but now can't find it) that there are 3 different adjustments you can make to soften it up. Can anyone help me with that?

·
Registered
527 Posts
There should be a cam adjuster on the shock body and it should have instructions in the owners manual of how to set it. There should be a spanner wrench in your tool kit to make this adjustment. Keep in mind the springs will take 200 to 300 miles to break in and then the machine should ride nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, already did the cam adjuster so I guess I just have to break them in. will be fun doing it but makes me achy for a few days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem. 2008 500 Touring and the rear suspension is way hard. Mine is on the lightest setting. The parts fiche shows at least 2 different springs.. one black and one silver. Don't know if there is a different in the stiffness. Mine are the silver. Good ATV, easy maintenance, but not a smooth ride by any means. My 06 CanAM is the opposite....pain to service (engineers were on vacation when they dreamed up all of the oil fills/drains/filters) but the ride is not even close in comparison. When on the stiffest setting and HD springs/shocks, it is much, much smoother. 2 Full size adults, and the rear suspension hardly budges at all on the Polaris. I would love to find softer springs for the Polaris. Any ideas for aftermarket that WOULD NOT be heavier but softer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am glad I am not the only one! we also have an 07 canam that is a really smooth ride but a pain to work on. I find the steering in my polaris better, location of the shift better, but the ride is a little tough, if I have to wait for the springs to break in that is fine but if its never going to ease up I will look into different shocks. let me know if you find any,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, we have over 1000 miles on the Polaris.. Mostly rough mountain riding in Colorado. Ride has not changed. I was at the Polaris dealer in Tulsa, OK today..they show 2 different springs but they say the only difference is on set is silver and the other black. Completely agree with Skuirrelly. Much easier maintenance on the Polaris but much better ride on the CanAm. I guess we'll just have to life with it unless I can find out the lb rating of the factory springs. I can find after market springs but most of those say they are HD and I sure don't want stiffer springs. The after market ones list a lb rating so if I knew the rating of the factory ones I might have a chance. I went to the Polaris website to the section where you could ask them questions...they did respond...said go to your Polaris dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2004 sportsman 600, same problem. I have not seen or heard of lighter springs.
I bought used spring on ebay and cut off about coil and a half off then rebent end. lot of work but what a difference. i think polaris puts strong springs on them to give ground clearance at the loss of ride. mine is lower to ground. also easier on inner cv joint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts